Stephan J. Spehl studied at the universities of Munich, Constance, Geneva and Freiburg (1980-1984) and passed his second exam in 1987. He received a doctorate from the University of Konstanz in 1988. After having graduated from Miami School of Law in 1989, Stephan joined Baker McKenzie in Frankfurt. He passed the New York Bar Exam in 1990. Stephan became a partner in the Firm in 1995 and opened the Baker McKenzie office in Munich in 1997.
Stephan represents numerous clients in complex commercial disputes before state courts, and in ad hoc or institutional arbitration proceedings. He was party-appointed arbitrator in various ad-hoc proceedings.
Representative Legal Matters
- Participated as arbitrator in three proceedings as either chairman of an arbitral tribunal, sole arbitrator, or member of an arbitral tribunal (DIS, ICC, ad hoc).
- Participated as counsel in more than 30 proceedings (DIS, ICC, ad hoc).
- Participated in numerous internal investigations.
- Acritas Star, Acritas Sharplegal 2018
- New York~United States (1991)
- Germany (1987)
- University of Miami School of Law (LL.M.) (1989)
- Universitaet Konstanz (Dr. jur.) (1988)
- University of Freiburg (Referendar Exam) (1985)
- University of Geneva
- University of Munich