Shalini Soopramanien is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Banking & Finance – Major Projects Practice Group in New York. Prior to joining the Firm, Shalini worked in the project finance group of a leading US law firm and as an in-house lawyer at the African Development Bank.
Shalini's practice focuses on the representation of public and private entities in the development and financing of energy and infrastructure projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a major international renewable energy developer in the sale of multiple operating renewable energy facilities across the United States, including one hybrid storage facility.
- Advising the lender and lead arranger in the refinancing of USD 22 million credit facility for a portfolio of three gas-fired combined cycle cogeneration facilities in the United States with an aggregate net capacity of approximately 347 MW.
- Represented a leading international renewable energy developer in the acquisition of three development-stage solar photovoltaic projects located in various jurisdictions in the United States, and assisted in the review and bidding process of the client’s power purchase agreement with the local utility company.
- Represented a joint venture between two vegetable processors in a USD 66 million senior secured revolving credit and term loan facility relating to the refurbishment of an existing vegetable processing facility.
- Represented the back-leverage lenders in the financing of a 71.3 MW solar photovoltaic energy facility in Southeastern United States.
- Advised a major investment bank as the sole placement agent for the financing of a portfolio of eight solar photovoltaic energy facilities with an aggregate net capacity of approximately 163 MWac.
- Represented a global investment bank in a revolving loan facility for the development phase of utility-scale wind and solar energy facilities in Northeastern United States.
- Advised clients on finance eligibility for Overseas Private Investment Corporation financing and US Department of Energy’s Loan Guarantee Program (Title XVII of the Energy Policy Act (EPAct) of 2005).
- Represented the Overseas Private Investment Corporation in a 100 MW solar photovoltaic energy facility located in West Africa.
- Advised the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development on a USD 500 million guaranty facility to support the purchase and importation of natural gas from eligible gas suppliers in Eastern Europe.
- Dean's List, Georgetown University Law Center, 2016
- Recipient, International Council for Commercial Arbitration Congress Africa Fund, 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- French-American Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Represented clients in pro bono cases involving VAWA and U visa applications.
- District of Columbia~United States (2017)
- New York~United States (2011)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LLM with Distinction) (2016)
- The Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (LLM magna cum laude) (2011)
- King's College London, UK (LLB Upper Second Honors) (2008)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.