Derek Soller is a partner in the Dispute Resolution practice group in the New York, of which he has been a member since his graduation from NYU Law School in 2007. Derek is active in the international arbitration community in New York and beyond, frequently speaking and writing on issues related to the field, and in particular relating to the quantification of damages. He is a member of the CPR Y-ADR steering committee, a former member of the New York City Bar Arbitration Committee, and a current member of the City Bar International Commercial Disputes Committee.
Derek has focused on international arbitration throughout his career. He has represented both investors and states in investor-state arbitrations under the ICSID, the ICSID Additional Facility, and UNCITRAL rules, has represented clients in commercial arbitrations under the ICC, ICDR, LCIA, JAMS and UNCITRAL rules, and has served as an arbitrator in ICC proceedings. Derek has also acted for clients in complex commercial litigation in state and federal court.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented the former owners of Venezuela's largest coffee retailer in an ICSID arbitration alleging unlawful expropriation, and secured award of over USD 50 million.
- Represented Hungary in an ICSID Arbitration case involving the regulation of food vouchers for public purpose; claimant awarded 20% of amount sought; award subject to ICSID annulment proceedings.
- Represented a large multinational in an ad-hoc UNCITRAL Rules arbitration concerning design and construction of two floating production, storage and offloading vessels. Received an award in the amount of 100 percent of our client’s claims, approximately USD 217 million, including all legal and arbitration costs.
- Represented a French multinational in an ICC arbitration arising from a post-acquisition dispute, secured favourable settlement.
- Represented a state in two ad-hoc UNCITRAL Rules disputes in which investors claiming breach of a bilateral investment treaty sought a total amount in excess of USD 4 billion. Secured award dismissing claims and awarding our clients’ costs and fees.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- CPR Y-ADR - Steering Committee Member
- New York City Bar Association - Former Arbitration Committee Member
- New York City Bar Association - International Commercial Disputes Committee Member
- New York~United States (2009)
- New York University School of Law (JD) (2007)
- Middlebury College (Master of Arts) (2004)
- Dartmouth College (BA) (2000)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.