Representative Legal Matters
- Represented the former owners of Venezuela's largest coffee retailer in an ICSID arbitration alleging unlawful expropriation, and secured award of over USD 50 million.
- Represented Hungary in an ICSID Arbitration case involving the regulation of food vouchers for public purpose; claimant awarded 20% of amount sought; award subject to ICSID annulment proceedings.
- Represented a large multinational in an ad-hoc UNCITRAL Rules arbitration concerning design and construction of two floating production, storage and offloading vessels. Received an award in the amount of 100 percent of our client’s claims, approximately USD 217 million, including all legal and arbitration costs.
- Represented a French multinational in an ICC arbitration arising from a post-acquisition dispute, secured favourable settlement.
- Represented a state in two ad-hoc UNCITRAL Rules disputes in which investors claiming breach of a bilateral investment treaty sought a total amount in excess of USD 4 billion. Secured award dismissing claims and awarding our clients’ costs and fees.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- CPR Y-ADR - Steering Committee Member
- New York City Bar Association - Former Arbitration Committee Member
- New York City Bar Association - International Commercial Disputes Committee Member
- New York~United States (2009)
- New York University School of Law (JD) (2007)
- Middlebury College (Master of Arts) (2004)
- Dartmouth College (BA) (2000)
Author, "What Would Have Happened If? The Role of Hypothesis, Assumptions, Estimates and Speculation In Determining The Quantum Of Damages," 40 Under 40: International Arbitration, C. Gonzalez-Bueno (ed.), 2018
Co-author, "Investment Treaty Planning Should be on the Checklist for Every Foreign Investment Your Company Makes," Association of Corporate Counsel Spring 2018 Newsletter, 2018
Co-author, "United States in The Arbitration Review of the Americas 2018," Global Arbitration Review, 29 August 2017
Presenter, "When Arbitration Goes to New York Courts: Recent Developments in the Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards," New York State Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section, Webinar, 29 November 2017
Panelist, "Damages in International Arbitration: Expectations and Awards," PwC, New York, 3 August 2017