Kyle Soekoe is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Kyle focuses on corporate projects and project finance, primarily within the energy sector. He has experience in advising on various components of a project, including corporate structuring, finance, contracting and regulation issues. Kyle also has experience in advising on general banking & finance and construction mandates.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising the lender group in respect of the 25 MW Ngodowana Bio-Mass Project under the Department of Energy's Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement (REIPPP) Programme. Advising on the PPA, IA, EPC, O&M, Fuel Supply, Site arrangements and Financing Agreements.
- Advised AIIM Africa on due diligence of two solar PV projects situated in Namibia.
- Advising Nedbank in respect of the Zeerust solar PV project and the Droogfontein II solar PV project under the REIPPP Programme, and in respect of which Old Mutual Life Assurance Company (SA) Limited is the lead equity member.
- Advising a multi-national energy company and Korea Power Corporation on the Department of Energy's Coal Baseload IPP Programme in South Africa.
- Advising the lender on the refinancing of a 16 MW gas fired peaking power plant in Wales.
- Advised a consortium of banks in respect of the local law aspects of a USD 200,000 term loan facility made to Investec Bank Limited.
- Advised a consortium of banks in respect of the local law aspects of a USD 425 million term loan facility made to Investec Bank Limited.
- Advised a consortium of more than 30 banks in respect of the local law aspects of a USD 600 million syndicated loan facility to Investec Bank Limited, the South African subsidiary of Investec Limited.
- Advised the Bidvest Group Limited on the financing of the ZAR 2.7 billion acquisition of Noonan from Alchemy Partners.
- Advising the African Development Bank and NEPAD-IPPF on a study on enabling infrastructure framework for oil and gas in several African countries.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2017)
- University of Stellenbosch (LLM International Trade Law) (2014)
- University of the Free State (LLB cum laude) (2013)