Jan Snel is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Tax Practice Group in Amsterdam. He joined the Firm in 1995. In 2000 and 2001, he worked in the Palo Alto office where he focused on assisting US companies (of which many are high tech or e-commerce companies) in dealing with VAT and customs issues particularly in multinational contexts. He became a partner in the Amsterdam office in 2003. Jan is a frequent speaker on EU VAT and Customs issues at international tax planning programs, including the Tax Executives Institute and the Chicago Tax Club.
His practice focuses on international VAT and customs law, primarily on behalf of high-tech, e-commerce and medicare companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted in a privatization deal between a Firm client and the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Focused heavily, with the Legal Department of DG XXI of the European Commission, on the function of the new European VAT system for e-commerce services.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Tax Scholar Association
- Dutch Association of Tax Advisers (NOB)
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (1996)
- University of Amsterdam (1998)
- Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen (1995)
- Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen (1994)
- Palo Alto