Matthew focuses on cross-border acquisition and leveraged finance, corporate lending, debt restructurings and general financing matters across a range of sectors and industries.Matthew specialises in cross-border corporate lending, leveraged finance, debt restructurings and general financing matters across a range of sectors. He represents a variety of clients, including financial institutions, private credit funds, infrastructure funds corporates and private equity sponsors on a wide range of finance products, including senior, unitranche, receivables and subordinated facilities. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Matthew was a member of the finance team at Travers Smith LLP.
Matthew is ranked as a “Next Generation Partner” by Legal 500 UK 2020 and as a leading individual by Chambers UK.
"He is highly responsive, always available and fully in the detail on all elements of documentation. He has a highly commercial approach and is very capable of putting himself in the shoes of both lenders and sponsors to arrive at a balanced outcome." Chambers 2021
"The exceptionally strong Matthew Smith is commercial and technically strong." Legal 500 UK 2020
"The ‘technically capable and commercial' Matthew Smith's broad-ranging expertise includes direct lending work …" Legal 500 UK 2020
"Matthew is a very strong lawyer with good attention to detail and a strong technical background. He is easy to work with and commercially sensible, an asset on any deal. He is regularly called upon to advise banks and funds on a wide range of acquisition and leveraged finance matters." Chambers UK 2020: Banking & Finance
Representative Legal Matters
Some of Matthew's representative experience (including at previous firm) includes:
- Advising Ares Management Limited on the financing aspects of Macquarie and MML’s acquisition of ParkingEye.
- Advising Ardian Private Debt and Barings Private Debt on the financing aspects of Macquarie’s recommended cash offer for Premier Technical Services Group Plc.
- Advising UBS as Financial Advisor on the GBP 2.6 billion offer for Inmarsat Plc by a consortium including Apax and Warburg Pincus (among others).
- Advising Proventus Capital Partners III KB on its unitranche financing of Santa Fe Group Limited.
- Advising HSBC and Deutsche Bank in several capacities on the post-IPO facilities for Global Fashion Group.
- Advising ECI Partners on the financing of its acquisition of IT Lab.
- Advising Livingbridge and the Company on the continuing debt financing arrangements for Exponent’s acquisition of the Enra Group.
- Advising Exponent Private Equity on the financing aspects of its acquisition of Trainline.com.
- Advising Muzinich Private Debt on the unitranche facilities made available to refinance August Private Equity’s acquisition of Charterhouse Voice & Data Plc.
- Advising Muzinich Private Debt on the unitranche facilities made available to refinance August Private Equity’s acquisition of the Zenergi Group.
- Advising the lender on the debt financing package made available to fund HgCapital's acquisition of EvaluatePharma.
- Advising the lender on the debt financing package made available to fund Aquiline Capital Partners’ acquisition of Simply Business.
- England & Wales (2007)