Matthew Smith is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Banking & Finance Practice Group in London. His clients include financial institutions, private credit funds, infrastructure funds, alternative lenders, private equity sponsors and corporates. He advises on a wide range of finance products, including senior, unitranche (single and split tranche), receivables and subordinated facilities.
Matthew is known for his representation of leading banks and private equity clients in complex leveraged and acquisition finance transactions. Clients note in Chambers 2017 that his "insight into the market, paired with his high level of commercial acumen, is a real differentiator in negotiations." Matthew was seconded to two globally leading banking and finance institutions. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he was a member of the finance team in a corporate, financial and commercial law firm in the UK.
Representative Legal Matters
Matthew handled the following matters prior to joining the Firm:
- Advised HSBC on the debt financing package made available to support Inflexion Private Equity Partners' investment in Outdoor Plus.
- Advised HSBC on the debt financing package made available to fund HgCapital's acquisition of EvaluatePharma.
- Advised Commerzbank, Lloyds and others on the debt financing package made available to fund Ancala Partners’ acquisition of International Energy Group.
- Advised Alteri Europe, L.P. on the debt financing package made available to (and its subsequent acquisition of) Austin Reed.
- Advised HSBC on its refinancing of Gymbox.
- Advised Benchmark Holdings plc on the debt financing aspects of its acquisition of Inve Aquaculture Holding B.V..
- Advised Silicon Valley Bank on the financing aspects of AKKR’s acquisition of Kerridge Commercial Systems.
- Advised HSBC and AIB on the debt financing package made available to fund ECI Partners' acquisition of Evans Cycles.
- Advised Muzinich & Co. on its unitranche financing of Phaidon International.
- England & Wales (2007)