Matthew is a Partner in the Firm's Banking and Finance Practice in London. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Matthew was a member of the finance team at Travers Smith LLP.
Matthew is ranked as a “Next Generation Partner” by Legal 500 UK 2020 and as a leading individual by Chambers UK.
Matthew advises private equity sponsors, private credit funds, infrastructure funds, banks and corporate borrowers on cross-border leveraged and general financing transactions across a range of sectors. Matthew is widely recognised as having particular expertise in private credit and direct lending transactions.
"He is highly responsive, always available and fully in the detail on all elements of documentation. He has a highly commercial approach and is very capable of putting himself in the shoes of both lenders and sponsors to arrive at a balanced outcome." Chambers 2021
"The exceptionally strong Matthew Smith is commercial and technically strong." Legal 500 UK 2020
"The ‘technically capable and commercial' Matthew Smith's broad-ranging expertise includes direct lending work …" Legal 500 UK 2020
"Matthew is a very strong lawyer with good attention to detail and a strong technical background. He is easy to work with and commercially sensible, an asset on any deal. He is regularly called upon to advise banks and funds on a wide range of acquisition and leveraged finance matters." Chambers UK 2020: Banking & Finance
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising ICG on its forward funding of Europe's largest single-occupier logistics site for Jaguar Land Rover.
- Advising Bridgepoint Credit and Investec Bank plc on the refinancing of CGE Partners and ICG plc's acquisition of Enhesa Group.
- Advising Ardian Private Debt and Barings Private Debt on the financing aspects of Macquarie’s recommended cash offer for Premier Technical Services Group Plc.
- Advising Ares Management Limited on the financing aspects of Macquarie and MML’s acquisition of ParkingEye.
- Advising Muzinich Private Debt on the unitranche facilities made available to refinance August Private Equity’s acquisition of the Zenergi Group.
- Advising Morgan Stanley as Financial Advisor on the GBP 3.8 billion offer for G4S by Allied Universal (Warburg Pincus and CDPQ).
- Advising UBS as Financial Advisor on the GBP 2.6 billion offer for Inmarsat Plc by a consortium including Apax and Warburg Pincus (amongst others).
- Advising the unitranche lender on the first out / last out unitranche facilities made available to support LDC's investment in Solid Solutions.
- Advising Muzinich Private Debt on the unitranche refinancing of August Private Equity’s acquisition of Charterhouse Voice & Data Plc.
- Advising Barings Private Debt on the unitranche financing package to support a confidential sponsor bid.
- Advising Proventus Capital Partners III KB on its unitranche financing of Santa Fe Group Limited.
- Advising HSBC and Barclays on the innovative multi-platform CLBILS refinancing of Ocean Outdoor.
- Advising HSBC and Deutsche Bank in several capacities on the post-IPO facilities for Global Fashion Group.
- Advising Ardian Private Debt on the unitranche financing package to support a confidential sponsor bid.
- Advising Bridgepoint and Wiggle on the financing aspects of Wiggle’s acquisition of Chain Reaction Cycles.
- Advising ECI Partners on the financing of its acquisition of IT Lab.
- Advising Livingbridge and the Company on the continuing debt financing arrangements for Exponent’s acquisition of the Enra Group.
- Advising Exponent Private Equity on the financing aspects of its acquisition of Trainline.com.
- Advising HSBC on the debt financing package made available to fund HgCapital's acquisition of EvaluatePharma.
- Advising HSBC on the debt financing package made available to fund Aquiline Capital Partners’ acquisition of Simply Business.
- England & Wales (2007)