Matthew specializes in cross-border leveraged and acquisition finance, corporate lending, debt restructurings and general financing matters across a range of sectors. He represents a variety of clients, including financial institutions, private credit funds, infrastructure funds, corporate borrowers and private equity sponsors on a wide range of financing products.
Matthew is ranked as a “Next Generation Partner” by Legal 500 UK 2020 and as a leading individual by Chambers UK. He has been described as "commercial and technically strong” (Legal 500 UK 2020) and a "technically capable and commercial" lawyer whose "broad-ranging expertise includes direct lending work" (Legal 500 UK 2020). Chambers UK 2020 Banking & Finance calls him "a very strong lawyer with good attention to detail and a strong technical background. He is easy to work with and commercially sensible, an asset on any deal.”
Representative Legal Matters
Some of Matthew's representative experience (including at previous firm) includes:
- Advising Ares Management Limited on the financing aspects of Macquarie and MML’s acquisition of ParkingEye.
- Advising Ardian Private Debt and Barings Private Debt on the financing aspects of Macquarie’s recommended cash offer for Premier Technical Services Group Plc.
- Advising UBS as Financial Advisor on the GBP 2.6 billion offer for Inmarsat Plc by a consortium including Apax and Warburg Pincus (among others).
- Advising Proventus Capital Partners III KB on its unitranche financing of Santa Fe Group Limited.
- Advising HSBC and Deutsche Bank in several capacities on the post-IPO facilities for Global Fashion Group.
- Advising ECI Partners on the financing of its acquisition of IT Lab.
- Advising Livingbridge and the Company on the continuing debt financing arrangements for Exponent’s acquisition of the Enra Group.
- Advising Exponent Private Equity on the financing aspects of its acquisition of Trainline.com.
- Advising Muzinich Private Debt on the unitranche facilities made available to refinance August Private Equity’s acquisition of Charterhouse Voice & Data Plc.
- Advising Muzinich Private Debt on the unitranche facilities made available to refinance August Private Equity’s acquisition of the Zenergi Group.
- Advising the lender on the debt financing package made available to fund HgCapital's acquisition of EvaluatePharma.
- Advising the lender on the debt financing package made available to fund Aquiline Capital Partners’ acquisition of Simply Business.
- England & Wales (2007)