James Smith joined Baker McKenzie’s London office in 1999. Since qualifying as a solicitor in 2001, he has worked in the tax department and became a partner in July 2011. James was recently selected as one of Tax Journal's 40 under 40 leading UK tax professionals.
James advises on all aspects of UK corporate tax with a particular focus on transactional work. He concentrates on tax issues on domestic and international corporate mergers and corporate restructurings. James also regularly advises on structured capital market transactions as well as often advising on UK property investment transactions and fund formations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on Lufthansa's sale of British Midland International (BMI) to British Airways owner, International Consolidated Airlines Group (IAG).
- Advised Cargill's EUR1.5 billion acquisition of Provimi from Permira.
- Advised Prestige Brands' acquisition from GlaxoSmithKline of 17 over-the-counter healthcare brands sold in North America for a total of USD660 million.
- Advised on various acquisitions and disposals of European investments for Platinum Equity, a leading private equity house.
- Advised on the acquisitions and disposals of prime commercial and residential property in London for a variety of investor classes.
- Advised Walt Disney's acquisition of 50 percent of MO-TV Holdings Limited, a Russian media company.
- Advised Fiberweb's disposal of its global hygiene business.
- Advised on the securitisations of residential mortgage portfolios and trade receivables.
- Advised Siemens' acquisition of Expro Holdings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2001)
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice (Certificate Legal Practice) (1999)
- Oxford University (Jesus College) (B.A.) (1998)