Greg Smith is special counsel in Sydney. He has over 10 years of experience as a corporate lawyer focusing on complex cross-border M&A (private and public), joint ventures and equity capital markets work.
Greg commenced his career in New York and most recently worked for six years in London before returning back to Sydney. He has worked on transactions with individual deal values up to USD 18 billion.
Greg is admitted as an attorney-at-law in New York and as a solicitor in England & Wales (in addition to Australia).
Representative Legal Matters
Previous firm experience:
- Advised Randgold Resources Ltd. on its combination with Barrick Gold Corporation by way of scheme of arrangement (USD 18.3 billion).
- Advised Sime Darby on English law aspects of the demerger and separate listing of its property and plantation arms (prior to the transaction, Sime Darby had a market capitalisation of USD 14.7 billion).
- Advised Carlsberg on its joint venture with Marston's plc (GBP 780 million).
- Advised BP on the combination of its Norwegian subsidiary BP Norge’s business with Det norske Oljeselskap ASA to create Aker BP.
- Advised joint ventures involving a prominent international pension fund on the sale and purchase of various companies/funds holding prime London property (~GBP 250 million).
- Advised Greencoat Renewables PLC on the purchase of a portfolio of wind farms in France.
- Advised Centamin plc on its recommended offer for Ampella Mining Limited (AUD 41 million).
- Advised Taliesin Property Fund Limited on the recommended offer by funds advised by Blackstone by way of scheme of arrangement (EUR 260 million).
- Advised Randgold Resources Ltd. on its proposed joint venture with AngloGold Ashanti Limited in respect of the Obuasi Mine in Ghana.
- Advised transportation finance division of DZ Bank AG, on the sale of its aviation finance group to Japan’s Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG) and its affiliated leasing operation BOT Lease (BOTL).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- England & Wales (2020)
- High Court of Australia (2011)
- High Court of New Zealand (2011)
- New York~United States (2010)
- South Australia~Australia (2009)
- University of Adelaide (LLB with honours)
- University of Adelaide (Honours Bachelor of International Studies (First Class))
- Law Society of South Australia (GDLP)