Jean-Philippe Smeets is a partner in the M&A and Corporate Practice Groups of Baker McKenzie's Luxembourg office and has more than 20 years of experience. Prior to joining the Firm, Jean-Philippe headed the M&A practice of a Luxembourg independent law firm since 2019. He started his career in 2000 in Belgium in renowned network and independent law firms.
Jean-Philippe brings an extensive experience of over 20 years focused on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and commercial law. He advises international and local corporate groups, private equity funds, PSF and private investors in a variety of domestic and cross-border business transactions across a broad range of industries such as financial sector, manufacturing, food and beverage, and digital media.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised and assisted a foreign bank in connection with the acquisition of a renowned investment firm established in Luxembourg.
- Advised and assisted the historical shareholders of a renowned Luxembourg ICT provider regulated by the CSSF, in connection with the sale of a majority stake thereof to a Belgian Investment Fund and a subsequent roll over transaction.
- Advised and assisted a French financial group specialised in private management and institutional management in connection with the successive acquisitions of (a) an investment firm established in Luxembourg and (b) an investment firm established in Belgium.
- Advised and assisted a company active in the digital trust business in connection with the negotiation of a joint venture with one of its European equivalent with the purpose of creating creating a leading Pan-European Trust Service Provider.
- Advised and assisted private investors in connection with the setting into place of a club deal in order to acquire real estate assets located in Luxembourg through a SPV, followed by the resale of such SPV to a real estate promoter.
- Advised and assisted the historical shareholders of a Belgian manufacturing group in connection with the sale of their family business to a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions, and value-added services.
- Solvay Business School of Brussels (Executive Master in Finance) (2015)
- Free University of Brussels (Post Graduate Degree in Business Law) (2000)
- Free University of Brussels (Law Degree) (1999)
- J.P. SMEETS, « Point sur les clause d’earn-out en droit belge », R.D.C., 2016/5, p. 450-462.
- J.P. SMEETS, « Vers une simplification et modernisation du droit des sociétés et des associations », RGFCP, 2016/3, p.24-34.
- J.P. SMEETS et S. SCARNA, « La pricaf privée : un organisme de placement collectif à l’avenir prometteur ? », R.D.C., 2009/5, p. 463-473.
- J.P. SMEETS et R. FELTKAMP, « De Europese regeling inzake grensoverschijdende fusies omgeszet », R.D.C., 2008/10, p. 926-928.
- JP. SMEETS et R. FELTKAMP, « Marché d’instruments financiers. Confirmation de l’arrêté de transposition MiFID », R.D.C., 2008/9, p. 834-835.
- F. MOURLON BEERNAERT et J.P. SMEETS, « Commentaire de l’art. 88 du C. Soc », in X, Commentaire systématique du nouveau Code des sociétés, Kluwer, Diegem.
- F. MOURLON BEERNAERT et J.P. SMEETS, « Commentaire de l’art. 89 du C. Soc », in X, Commentaire systématique du nouveau Code des sociétés, Kluwer, Diegem.
Baker & McKenzie Luxembourg is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.