Richard Slowinski is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Washington, DC office. Richard has more than 25 years of experience advising clients regarding tax matters, with a focus on transfer pricing. He has been selected as a Recommended Lawyer and Leading Lawyer by International Tax Review and is recognized by Euromoney’s Expert Guide for Transfer Pricing.
Richard has served in various leadership positions in Baker McKenzie, including as Chair of the Washington Office Tax Practice, a member of the North American Transfer Pricing Steering Committee, and the Washington Office Hiring Partner. He worked for one year in the Tokyo Office of Baker McKenzie.
Richard advises US-based and foreign-based companies in various industries, including transportation, finance, hospitality, electronics, aerospace, pharmaceutical, retail and other industries. His extensive experience with tax controversy and planning matters includes all phases of administrative dispute resolution and advance pricing agreements (APAs).
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained numerous unilateral and bilateral APAs involving the IRS and other tax authorities.
- Successfully resolved novel transfer pricing issues such as using foreign parent company segment data as the tested party for an APA, intangible property migration, foreign currency fluctuations, financing transactions and guarantees, plant start-up and shut-down situations, US domestic transfer pricing and customs implications.
- Secured favorable competent authority agreements to eliminate double taxation in controversies involving the US, Canada, Japan, Mexico, the United Kingdom, etc.
- Advised numerous multinational companies in the motor vehicle, aerospace, telecommunications, hospitality, finance and other industries with regard to tax-efficient supply chain restructurings, including cash pooling systems, involving Europe, Asia and the Americas.
- Advised various multinational companies concerning intangible property migration strategies and compliance.
- Counseled a pharmaceutical company on strategies to address transfer pricing risks and reduce taxable permanent establishment concerns.
- Advised multinational companies with respect to tax and customs implications of cross-border transactions.
- Advised tax-exempt organization on tax issues associated with transactions involving taxable affiliates.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Barristers
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Columbus School of Law, Catholic University of America - Board of Visitors
- Parents Association, Bucknell University - Board of Directors
- District of Columbia~United States (1994)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (1994)
- Maryland~United States (1991)
- Georgetown University (LLM) (1993)
- Catholic University (JD) (1991)
- Bucknell University (BA) (1987)
Presenter, “US Tax Reform & Transfer Pricing Developments,” Japan Tax Association, Tokyo 2017
Moderator, “Transfer Pricing Developments,” Federal Bar Association, Washington, DC 2017
Moderator, “Industry Tax Roundtable,” BNA Bloomberg B&M Transfer Pricing Conference, Hong Kong 2016
Presenter, “Managing Global Tax Disputes,” Asia Pacific Transfer Pricing Conference, Tokyo 2016
Presenter, “The Future of APAs,” BNA Bloomberg B&M Transfer Pricing Conference, Toronto 2016