David Šimonek heads the Firm’s Real Estate & Environment Practice Group. He is highly recommended as a leading practitioner in his field by Chambers Europe. Mr. Šimonek also handles cases in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, banking, finance, litigation and insurance law.
Mr. Šimonek routinely advises on complex real estate development and construction matters, with particular emphasis on cross-border and international transactions. He also advises clients on the legal aspects of commercial leases for retail tenants, sale and lease back transactions, turnkey construction contracts, construction management agreements, as well as other related arrangements. His practice also involves complex structuring and regulatory advice on corporate restructuring and the financing of real estate projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Telefonica O2 Czech Republic a.s. in relation to negotiation and drafting of the sale and lease back of substantial part of the real estate portfolio of Telefonica O2 Czech Republic a.s. consisting of approximately 300 buildings (approximately 632 thousand square meters) and related land plots. The portfolio consists of a mix of administrative and technological buildings located throughout the whole country. The largest real estate transaction on the Czech market ever in terms of the number of buildings and plots as well as the scope and extent of the lease back. The transaction attracted significant media coverage.
- Advised Telefonica O2 Czech Republic a.s. in relation to negotiation and drafting of the lease agreement for BB Centrum, Prague 4.
- Advised Lindab AB, a major European manufacturer of building products, in the negotiation of an agreement for long-term lease of land and manufacturing facility under an operating lease arrangement and related financing arrangements, as well as the negotiation of a turnkey construction contract and construction management agreement in relation to construction of a production facility in the Czech Republic.
- Advised ITT Holdings Czech Republic s.r.o., a world leader in the sector of design and supply of friction materials, on real estate and corporate work connected with setting up the company, leasing green-field project manufacturing facilities and related ongoing commercial agreements. The company will be based in CTPark Ostrava, occupying some 24,000 square meters of industrial premises, with a future expansion to over 33,000 square meters and a production of 20 million units of materials per year.
- Advised Raiffeisenbank a.s. in the process of relocation of seat of Raiffeisenbank a.s. to City Tower, the highest administrative building in the Czech Republic. The transaction involved the lease of 10 floors (approximately 16,000 square meters).
- Provided KBC Lease with advice in relation to vendor leasing activities in the Czech Republic, including preparation of template vendor lease contract.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Czech Bar Association
- Czech Republic (1999)
- Charles University, Prague (J.D.) (2007)
- Central European University (Budapest) (LL.M.) (2003)
- T.M.C. Asser Institut in the Hague (2002)
- Charles University, Prague (Mgr.) (1996)
Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.