Wataru Shimizu is a member of the Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions Group in the Firm’s Tokyo office. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he worked for Morrison & Foerster LLP. Mr. Shimizu has co-written articles related to his field, including “Basic understanding of leading cases in Corporate Law and FIEL – Directors’ Liability in 2011,” published in Business Homu. He is a member of the Daini Tokyo Bar Association and the Japan Federation of Bar Associations.
Mr. Shimizu’s practice focuses on litigation, general corporate law and M&A. He has also been involved in a range of cross-border corporate transactions, including due diligence relating to mergers and acquisitions, and international litigation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a leading foreign investment bank in a damages claim involving losses suffered after the client was defrauded by a competitor’s employees.
- Represented a US snow board manufacturer in a damages claim involving losses suffered as a result of a breach of fiduciary duty by the former president of the client’s Japanese subsidiary.
- Assisted a TSE-listed electronics retail company planning to buy a competitor’s shares; conducted due diligence analysis on the target company.
- Assisted a TSE-listed developer company planning to become a sponsor of a construction company; conducted due diligence analysis on the target company.
- Japan (2008)
- Waseda University (LL.B.) (2003)