Denis Shamo is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Intellectual Property Practice Group in Dallas. His practice focuses on trademark and Internet matters, including trademark and trade dress counseling, risk assessment, clearance, and prosecution. It also covers trademark enforcement, both traditional and as it relates to domain names, the Internet, and social media. Mr. Shamo currently serves on the Internet Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA), and leads a working group within the Committee's Social Media and Mobile Applications Subcommittee. He recently completed a four-year term on INTA's Emerging Issues Committee, where he also held a leadership position.
Mr. Shamo advises clients with respect to trademark and trade dress issues, including brand development, risk management, proper use of trademarks, and assessment of risks in use and/or registration. He also aids his colleagues in global management of US and international trademark portfolios. Mr. Shamo handles the filing and prosecution of trademark applications, the maintenance of trademark registrations in the US Patent and Trademark Office, and liaises with foreign colleagues and local counsel on portfolio management matters abroad. He also counsels clients with respect to trademark and copyright infringement, unfair competition, counterfeiting, and domain name enforcement matters, analyses instances of potential trademark infringement, and advises regarding the likelihood of success in possible counter-infringement actions or oppositions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Performs worldwide trademark searches and renders risk assessment and availability opinions for a leading multinational corporation that specializes in Internet-related products and services.
- Aided a global tier 1 automotive supplier in managing an international trademark portfolio that comprises over 8,000 registrations and applications.
- Conducted trademark and trade dress availability searches, rendered risk assessment and availability opinions on behalf of a major US and international retailer.
- Acted as liaison for counterfeiting matters to foreign counsel and industry contacts in Italy, Portugal, Spain, Greece, Russian Federation, South Korea, and Thailand on behalf of a well-known apparel manufacturer.
- Counseled an internationally-known apparel manufacturer regarding FTC rules relating to the use of customer testimonials and endorsements in advertising as well as copyright issues in connection with a nationwide advertising campaign.
- Successfully overcame refusals to register trademarks based on descriptiveness and/or the likelihood of confusion on behalf of multiple clients.
- Successfully prosecuted numerous domain name recovery proceedings under the Uniform Domain-Name Resolution Policy (UDRP) and other domain-name dispute resolution policies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Texas~United States (2016)
- Michigan~United States (2010)
- Wayne State University Law School (J.D. summa cum laude) (2009)
- Institute of Hazardous Materials Management (CHMM Certification (Master-level)) (2004)
- Brandeis University (B.A. Physics) (1997)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.