Dmitry Semenov is an associate in the Moscow office of Baker McKenzie. Dmitry specializes in a wide range of IP matters such as copyright, trademark, patent and domain name matters, as well as advertising, promotions, media, entertainment and data protection. He has considerable experience in various IP-related transactions, anti-counterfeiting matters and dispute resolution.
Dmitry's practice focuses on general IP advice, intellectual property-related transactions, intellectual property enforcement and dispute resolution.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a large international media company on the comprehensive overhaul of intercompany multi-level license agreements with its Russian subsidiary covering a large IP portfolio owned by the client. The project covered a major restructuring of the client's multi-level licensing scheme involving termination of 15+ historical intra-group agreements and preparation of a set of the new agreements.
- Represented Rambler in drafting and negotiating of a set of agreements for transmission of football matches played as part of the English Premier League competition during the 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22 seasons by various distribution channels.
- Advised the state-owned Russian high-tech corporation in relation to its joint venture with an English contractor on the co-development of a microchip design involving cross-licensing of technologies.
- Advised international franchise operator in its franchising arrangements with a Russian franchisee for chain of coffee shops.
- Represented a major international payment system in a Russian commercial court in a dispute involving complex banking and IP rights infringement issues.
- Represented a major international Internet company in Russian and Belarus commercial courts against cyber squatters.
- Advised on the protection of TV format rights in Russia for several major Hollywood studios and the international format owner.
- Prepared opinion on Russian Copyright Law for the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and for an Israeli court.
- Developed and handled all-Russia anti-counterfeiting campaign aimed at combating online and offline sales of counterfeit DVDs with a blockbuster movie for one of the largest Hollywood studios.
- Reviewed compliance of 30+ pharma-related websites with Russian advertising and promotion requirements for one of the largest international pharma producers.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Intellectual Property Committee of the Association of European Businesses - Deputy Chair
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Association of Entertainment Lawyers
- Russian School of Private Law (Master's Degree Law) (2000)
- Moscow State University (Bachelor's Degree Law) (1998)
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.