Takehito Sekiguchi is a senior associate in the Firm's Finance & Projects Group in Tokyo. His practice particularly focuses on project finance, where he handles a full range of banking and finance transactions as well as corporate legal matters.
He was seconded to a leading Japanese bank (in Singapore) from October 2019 to September 2020, where he handled contract-related works for project finance and other structured finance transactions in Asia.
Takehito is particularly knowledgeable about infrastructure projects – including electric power projects and airport privatization projects – and has been involved in many project finance transactions. He also provides advice on structured finance (e.g., PFI/PPP and acquisition finance), financial regulations, environmental regulations and general corporate matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented domestic and international business operators and financial institutions with respect to electric power generation projects (more than 150 deals, including project finance for more than 60 power generation projects) involving solar, wind, geothermal, biomass and LNG power plants.
- Represented business operators and national and local governments with respect to concession projects involving, among other things, airports, roads and water utilities, including concession projects for Sendai Airport, Fukuoka Airport, seven airports in Hokkaido, Kumamoto Airport, and the Aichi Toll Road.
- Represented business operators, financial institutions, and national and local governments with respect to Private Finance Initiative (PFI) projects, including projects related to satellites, convention centers, hospitals, a school meal catering center, parks and waste plants.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan (2010)
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (LLM) (2019)
- Keio University Law School (JD) (2009)
- Keio University (LLB) (2007)
Co-author, "The Business of Wind Farms: What you need to know when entering the Japanese market," Journal of Wind Energy, JWEA Vol. 36 No. 2 (Serial No. 102), Japan Wind Energy Association, August 2012
Co-author, "Chapter 2: Business Environmental Law & Regulations," Understanding the Manufacturing Process Flow Through Business Environment Law, LexisNexis, March 2012, Language: Japanese