Stuart Seidel is a member of the Firm’s International Trade Compliance and Customs Practice. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in 2001, Mr. Seidel worked for 32 years in the US Customs Service (now US Customs and Border Protection) in various capacities — including assistant commissioner, assistant chief counsel for enforcement and operations and director of international trade compliance. Listed among The Best Lawyers in America, and ranked as a Senior Statesman in Chambers USA and Chambers Global, Mr. Seidel is also a recipient of the Presidential Rank and the Excellence in Government Award. He is a frequent speaker at seminars and conferences on customs and free trade matters. Mr. Seidel is also the editor of the monthly International Trade Compliance Update and the www.internationaltradecomplianceupdate.com website for the Firm.
Mr. Seidel focuses on customs classification and valuation, country of origin and customs compliance matters. He also advises clients on the maximization of free trade agreements and border protection of intellectual property rights. Throughout his career, Mr. Seidel has assisted foreign governments in the modernization of their import and export laws in line with WTO accession.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented several information technology companies in obtaining favorable substantial transformation advisory rulings for government procurement under the Trade Agreements Act.
- Conducted study and assisted the Vietnamese Government in revising customs and related laws in anticipation of accession to the World Trade Organization.
- Conducted study and assisted the Chinese Government in revising Customs and related laws in anticipation of accession to the World Trade Organization.
- Researched, prepared and filed significant protest with US Customs and Border Protection regarding denial of NAFTA treatment.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Customs and International Trade Bar Association
- Customs Lawyers Association - Former President
- U.S. Court of International Trade Advisory Committee - Former Member
- American Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (1987)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (1982)
- U.S. Court of International Trade~United States (1980)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit~United States (1975)
- District of Columbia~United States (1974)
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1973)
- New York~United States (1970)
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D.) (1969)
- Hunter College - City University of New York (B.A.) (1967)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.