Kenneth is a local principal of the Mergers & Acquisition Practice Group. He has also worked in the Yangon office of Baker McKenzie International. Kenneth is currently based in Singapore.
Before joining the Firm in 2020, Kenneth was the managing counsel for group legal at SGX-listed and Myanmar-based Yoma Strategic Holdings Ltd. (Yoma), where he led a 20-member legal and corporate secretarial team that supported corporate functions and business operations across the group's various segments, including in real estate, automotive, agriculture, healthcare, tourism and consumer products.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on the market entry and registration of an overseas corporation in Myanmar by a global technology company including on various legal and regulatory compliance matters.
- Advised on the market entry and incorporation of a subsidiary in Myanmar by a global payment services company including on regulatory and employment related issues.
- Advised on the bid submission in Myanmar's 1 GW solar tender by a consortium involving a local conglomerate and international solar energy developers.
Prior to joining Baker & McKenzie Limited, Yangon, Kenneth worked on the following matters at Yoma:
- Advised on the construction and development of Yoma Central, a USD 700 million mixed-use project in downtown Yangon, including the appointment of Marriott International as the operator of The Westin Yangon and redevelopment of the heritage Myanma Railways Headquarters into The Peninsula Yangon. The project involved joint venture partners such as YSX-listed First Myanmar Investment Public Co., Ltd. ("FMI"), Mitsubishi Corporation, Mitsubishi Estate Co., Ltd., International Finance Corporation ("IFC"), Asian Development Bank and The HongKong and Shanghai Hotels Limited.
- Advised on the opening of multiple KFC-branded stores in Myanmar by Yoma under a franchise development agreement with Yum! Brands.
- Advised on the development and operation of a joint venture between Yoma, IFC and Norfund to install solar-based micro power plants for telecommunication towers and rural communities.
- Advised on the equity investment by SF Express in KOSPA Limited, a logistics operation and distribution services joint venture company between Yoma and Kokubu Corp.
- Advised on the equity investment by Ant Financial in Wave Money, a digital money transfer services joint venture company between Yoma, FMI and Telenor Group.
- Advised on the development of City Loft, the first-ever mass market real estate project in Myanmar offering 25-year mortgage financing from local banks.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar of England and Wales
- Malaysian Bar
- Singapore Bar
- Singapore (2010)
- Malaysia (2006)
- England & Wales (non-practicing) (2005)
- University of Manchester (LL.B. (Hons))
- Bahasa Malaysia