Kenneth is a partner in Baker McKenzie Limited’s Mergers & Acquisition Practice Group in Yangon. He joins Baker McKenzie following a six-year stint with SGX-listed and Myanmar-based Yoma Strategic Holdings Ltd. (Yoma), where he was most recently the managing counsel of group legal leading a 20-member legal and corporate secretarial team that supported corporate functions and business operations across the group's various segments, including in real estate, automotive, agriculture, healthcare, tourism and consumer products.
His practice is focused on M&A transactions and joint ventures. He also advises on general corporate law and other Myanmar-based regulatory and compliance issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on the construction and development of Yoma Central, a USD 700 million mixed-use build-operate-and-transfer project in downtown Yangon, including the appointment of Marriott International as the operator of the Westin Yangon and redevelopment of the heritage Myanma Railways Headquarters into the Peninsula Yangon involving 2 joint venture companies, i.e., Meeyahta Development Limited, formed by Yoma, YSX-listed First Myanmar Investment Public Co., Ltd. (FMI), Mitsubishi Corporation, Mitsubishi Estate Co., Ltd., International Finance Corporation (IFC) and Asian Development Bank, and Peninsula Yangon Limited, formed by Yoma, FMI and the HongKong and Shanghai Hotels Limited.
- Advised Yoma and FMI on the USD 237.5 million investment by Ayala Corporation for subscription of shares in Yoma and granting of a convertible loan to FMI.
- Advised Yoma in connection with the opening of multiple KFC-branded stores in Myanmar under a franchise development agreement with Yum! Brands.
- Advised Yoma on the development and operation of a joint venture with IFC and Norfund (private equity company owned by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs) to generate clean electricity using solar-based micro power plants for telecommunication towers and rural communities.
- Advised Yoma on the equity investment by SF Express in KOSPA Limited, a joint venture between Yoma and Kokubu Corp. for the operation of logistics and distribution services in Myanmar.
- Advised Yoma on the development of City Loft, the first-ever mass market real estate project in Myanmar offering 25-year mortgage financing from local banks.
- Represented a US Securities and Exchange Commission-listed company as co-counsel in defending a USD 70 million arbitration claim in the Singapore International Arbitration Centre relating to an Australian-based rock phosphate off-take agreement.
- Assisted in a Court of Appeal matter in an application for specific performance to exercise an option to purchase a SGD 37 million property (reported in E C Investment Holding Pte Ltd v Ridout Residence Pte Ltd and others and another appeal  SGCA 50).
- Assisted the Malaysian national asset management company to successfully resist an application for specific performance in the Federal Court by a Malaysian public-listed company relating to a MYR 300 million land purchase.
- Assisted a fully owned subsidiary of the Ministry of Finance, Malaysia, in a MYR 130 million claim against its previous solicitors for professional negligence.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar of England and Wales
- Malaysian Bar
- Singapore Bar
- Singapore (2010)
- West Malaysia~Malaysia (2006)
- England & Wales (non-practicing) (2005)
- University of Manchester (LL.B. (Hons))
- Bahasa Malaysia
Baker & McKenzie Yangon is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein