Jack is a senior associate in the Baker McKenzie Dispute Resolution Department based in London. Jack undertakes a broad spectrum of commercial litigation and general disputes work. In addition to substantial experience in general commercial litigation, Jack practices in a number of specialist areas, in particular international civil fraud litigation and cross-jurisdictional trust and private wealth disputes.
In the Legal 500 (2021), Jack is mentioned as a key lawyer in Firm’s litigation team and is described as having “an encyclopaedic knowledge of the details of [his] cases”.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising an ultra-high-net-worth individual on a long-running, multibillion-dollar family trusts dispute in Bermuda, and pursuing related claims in the US, Hong Kong, and other jurisdictions.
- Acting for a prominent Middle Eastern businessman in relation to high-value fraud proceedings brought against another Middle Eastern businessman and his offshore vehicles. Prior to issuing the proceedings, obtained a without notice worldwide freezing injunction against the defendant parties.
- Acting for a syndicate of international financial institutions in relation to successful summary judgment proceedings in the Commercial Court arising out of a borrower's default on a facility agreement in excess of USD 150 million. The Court of Appeal upheld the summary judgment and both judgments were widely reported in the legal press for their implications on business-to-business contractual negotiations.
- Acting for a leading hospitality group in relation to its successful defence of an oral contract claim for substantial commission alleged to be due in respect of a refinancing facility. The successful defence of this claim was widely reported in the hospitality sector press.
- Also acting for a leading hospitality group in relation to an unfair prejudice petition brought by two minority shareholders against the majority shareholders and the company.
- Advising the principal beneficiary of a number of high-value trusts in relation to a dispute with the trustees and the other principal beneficiary.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Contentious Trusts Association
- Jack assisted the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in relation to a recent intervention before the Supreme Court of England and Wales.
- Jack has also participated in a number of the Firm's CSR programmes, including the PRIME initiative, for which the Firm regularly hosts work experience and events focused on broadening social mobility within the legal profession.
- England & Wales (2016)
- University of Law (LLB) (2014)
- University of Oxford (BA Economics & Management) (2012)
- Co-presenter (with Randall Krebs of Harbour International Trust Company and Caljonah Smith of Appleby Bermuda), “Jurisdiction Developments in Bermuda”, Transcontinental Trusts: International Forum, June 2021
- Co-author (with Rosie Sells and Clementine Metcalfe), “Cayman court decision removes sting in the tail of firewall legislation (re Stingray Trust)”, Private Wealth Newsletter, Q2 2021
- Co-author (with Anthony Poulton and David Yadid), "Privy Council strengthens the protections afforded to Guernsey trustees of Jersey law trust," Private Wealth Newsletter, May 2018
- Co-presenter (with Kira King of XXIV Old Buildings and Emily Stoneham of Payne Hicks Beach), "Fraud, Firewalls, and Freezers," Contentious Trusts Associates Spring Seminar, April 2018
- Co-author (with Charles Thomson and Fleur Chenevix-Trench), "Ex Kremlin baker's court loss may signal tougher stance against sham trusts," Fraud Intelligence, January 2018
- Co-author (with Anthony Poulton and Zak Soithongsuk), "Jersey Court summarises best practices for trustees contemplating a Beddoe application," Private Wealth Newsletter, December 2017