Vincent Schroder has more than 12 years of significant experience in privacy, data protection, information technology and e-commerce law. Being admitted in California, New York and Germany, he advises businesses around the world on questions pertaining to EU and US law as well as cross-border regulation and transactions. His privacy and data protection practice involves helping clients design, structure and implement comprehensive compliance programs and find innovative solutions regarding the processing of personally identifiable information and personal data using cutting-edge technology. Vincent also regularly advises clients on complex IT projects and agreements such as IT outsourcing, transition service agreements, licensing arrangements, cloud computing, the Internet of Things, infrastructure projects as well as terms and conditions governing e-commerce services.
Vincent focuses on EU and US privacy and data protection compliance, IT transactions, e-commerce and related questions of commercial law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Served as primary outside counsel for numerous US multinationals designing and implementing comprehensive GDPR compliance programs, including the mapping of current data processing operations, the evaluation of their lawfulness, the adoption of corrective action, the rights of affected individuals and compliance with transparency and accountability requirements.
- Analyzed the lawfulness of the processing of personally identifiable information (PII) and personal data in the context of innovative products and services and advised on necessary changes and privacy by design on behalf of internet and technology companies.
- Routinely provided guidance to clients on legal consent and opt-out requirements (COPPA, TCPA, CAN-SPAM Act, EU Directive 95/46/EC, GDPR, ePrivacy Directive, etc.). Drafted related notices, consent forms and online templates.
- Advised hundreds of clients on the prerequisites of cross-border data transfers to non-EU jurisdictions, including EU Standard Contractual Clauses and subprocessing agreements, self-certification under the EU/US Privacy Shield framework, Binding Corporate Rules and respective consent mechanisms.
- Counseled clients on the extensive rights of affected individuals regarding the processing of their PII and personal data and the adjustments to their IT systems necessary to accommodate such rights.
- Frequently provided privacy training to client audiences of all kinds such as legal departments, product development, marketing, etc.
- Frequently drafted and revised corporate privacy notices and policies, records of processing activities as well as privacy and data protection impact assessments.
- Advised IT and similar vendors and service providers on the obligations under the GDPR specifically to processors handling personal data on behalf of their customers. Developed compliance frameworks tailored to their needs and helped them address questions of their prospective and actual customers regarding privacy compliance.
- Regularly counseled clients on reasonable data security measures and appropriate technical and organizational measures to be implemented in order to protect PII and personal data. Provided guidance on notification obligations and procedures in case of data breaches.
- Managed, drafted and negotiated an abundance of IT-related projects and agreements, including IT outsourcing transactions, TSIs, software/hardware development, service and maintenance contracts, service level agreements, licensing arrangements, terms and conditions for e-commerce services, etc.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- California~United States (2016)
- New York~United States (2011)
- Munich~Germany (2005)
- Stanford Law School (LLM) (2009)
- University of Erlangen-Nurnberg (PhD) (2007)
- Second Court of Appeals of Bavaria (Second State Examination) (2003)
- University of Erlangen-Nurnberg (First State Examination) (2001)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.