Steven R. Schneider is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Washington, DC office, where he focuses on tax. He started his career as a lawyer in the IRS' national office and has had many years of national-level law firm and Big-4 accounting firm experience. Mr. Schneider also previously chaired the ABA Partnership Tax Committee. He has been teaching an advanced tax course on drafting partnership and LLC agreements at Georgetown University Law Center since 2005 and has published numerous articles on tax for Taxes:The Tax Magazine, Tax Notes, Bloomberg BNA and Journal of Taxation, among many others.
Mr. Schneider is a nationally recognized tax lawyer who focuses his practice on transactional, controversy and tax policy matters. He has significant tax experience in partnerships, REITs, S corporations, real estate, private equity, energy and inbound real estate investment. He also has significant experience advising on a broad spectrum of real estate asset classes, including office, multifamily, retail and hospitality.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented large global real estate funds, developers and institutional investors in federal income tax matters relating to international and domestic real estate acquisitions, dispositions and restructurings.
- Successfully represented clients in significant federal tax controversy matters, including IRS audits and appeals.
- Regularly represents private equity funds in tax structuring, diligence and documentation.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Tax Section, Past Chair, Parnerships and LLCs
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (2011)
- District of Columbia~United States (2005)
- Missouri~United States (1994)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M. with Distinction) (1998)
- Washington University School of Law (J.D. Order of the Coif) (1994)
- University of Missouri at Columbia (B.S. summa cum laude) (1991)