Kai Schlender is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group in Frankfurt. Before joining the Frankfurt office, he worked in the Berlin and Shanghai offices of Baker McKenzie. Besides his legal career, Kai has earned Bachelor and Master of Arts degrees in Sinology and is a guest lecturer at Humboldt and Free University of Berlin, where he regularly teaches Chinese law and politics.
Kai advises on a broad range of corporate matters, particularly domestic and international M&A transactions. His practice has a focus on China-related projects, such as M&A transactions and joint ventures involving Chinese parties, both in- and outbound.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised India-based HIL Limited on the acquisition of Parador Holding GmbH from NORD Holding Unternehmensbeteiligungsgesellschaft mbH and Deutsche Mittelstandsholding für Industriebeteiligungen GmbH & Co. KG.
- Advised China-based Pagoda Investment on the acquisition of a majority stake in Ascopharm Group from Adiuva Capital.
- Advised China-based Hillhouse Capital on the acquisition of Gimborn.
- Advised Heidelberger Druckmaschinen on the sale of post-packaging business unit to Masterwork Machinery Co. LTD. (Tianjin).
- Advised KSPG Automotive/Rheinmetall on the joint-venture with Chinese HUAYU Automotive Systems Co. Ltd., a subsidiary of SAIC, in Germany.
- Advised on the sale of Kiekert AG to Hebei Lingyun Industrial Group.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Frankfurt Bar Association - Member
- German-Chinese Lawyers' Association - Member
- Germany (2017)
- Higher Regional Court of Frankfurt (Second State Exam) (2017)
- Free University of Berlin (MA Sinology) (2016)
- Humboldt University of Berlin (First State Exam) (2013)
- Humboldt University of Berlin (BA Sinology) (2011)
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten, Wirtschaftsprüfern und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.