Paul E. Schick is a member of the North American Tax Practice Group. Mr. Schick has litigated and otherwise resolved numerous issues for taxpayers since joining Baker McKenzie in 1995. In addition to his experience with Baker McKenzie, Mr. Schick was International Tax Counsel for McDonald's Corporation in 2000 and 2001. Prior to law school, Mr. Schick was a certified public accountant for Ernst & Young. Mr. Schick has written extensively on federal income tax matters for several publications and is a frequent lecturer for the Tax Executives Institute.
Mr. Schick primarily concentrates on tax controversies at the audit, appeals and litigation stages. He is exceptionally fluent in transfer pricing and other international taxation issues, and has significant experience litigating in Tax Court and resolving tax disputes in various dispute resolution forums, including Fast Track Settlements, Collection Due Process Hearings, Appeals and Competent Authority Procedures.
Representative Legal Matters
- MGA Entertainment, Inc. v. Commissioner, Dkt. Nos. 066699-13 and 006721-13 (transfer pricing dispute over intercompany royalties and sales of tangible property).
- MGA Entertainment, Inc. v. Commissioner, Dkt Nos. 12589-12 and 12590-12 (section 956 investment in US property income inclusion).
- Veritas Software Corporation & Subsidiaries, Symantec Corporation (Successor in Interest to VERITAS Software Corporation & Subsidiaries) v. Commissioner, 133 T.C. 297 (2009) (USD2.5 billion dispute over the amount of buy-in royalties due under a cost-sharing agreement).
- SunAmerica, Inc., and Subsidiaries C/O AIG Retirement Services, Inc., Formerly Known As AIG SunAmerica, Inc., and American International Group, Inc. v. Commissioner, Dkt. No. 10438-06 (proper amount of reserves for certain insurance contracts).
- Compaq Computer Corp. v. Commissioner, 113 T.C. 363 (1999); Compaq Computer Corp. v. Commissioner, 78 T.C.M. (CCH) 20 (1999) (transfer pricing dispute over the intercompany sale of tangible property).
- Compaq Computer Corp. v. Commissioner, 277 F.2d 778 (5th Cir. 2001), rev’g, 113 T.C. 214 (1999) (credibility of foreign tax credits under the economic substance doctrine).
- Baskes v. Commissioner, Dkt. No. 40543-86, et. al.; Eisenberg v. Commissioner, Dkt. No. 7498-85, et. al.; Janger v. Commissioner, Dkt. No. 23589-81; Glassberg v. Commissioner, Dkt. No. 25314-2, et. al.; Estate of Lippitz v. Commissioner, Dkt. No. 35775-84, et. al. (taxation of income from certain trusts being challenged under the assignment of income, sham transaction and economic substance doctrines).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1996)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (1996)
- Illinois Supreme Court~United States (1995)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. Taxation) (1995)
- University of Kansas School of Law (J.D.) (1994)
- University of Kansas (B.S. Business Administration and Accountancy) (1988)