Paolo Sbuttoni is a partner in the Hong Kong office of Baker McKenzie and a member of the Firm's IT & Communications Practice Group. He focuses on technology agreements and transactions, e-commerce, telecommunications regulatory matters, and data privacy. Paolo has presented on a number of topics relevant to his field including cloud computing contracts, data privacy, and social media.
Paolo advises clients in a broad range of industry sectors on IT contracts/outsourcing, privacy/data protection, e-commerce, and telecommunications/internet regulatory issues. He has recently advised a number of companies on establishing comprehensive data governance frameworks across the region. Other recent experience includes assisting clients with the establishment of e-commerce platforms in Asia and related technology agreements and privacy compliance. He also has extensive experience in general commercial issues and agreements and regularly assists clients with licensing, franchise, supply, agency and distribution agreements and on compliance with consumer laws.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisting global clients with data privacy compliance in HK and across APAC (including advising on the impact of GDPR and other global privacy laws).
- Developing comprehensive data breach/ incident response plans for clients across a wide range of sectors.
- Assisting clients with responses to investigations by the HK Privacy Commissioner, in particular as a result of a data breach.
- Advising clients on compliance with data privacy and cyber security requirements in multiple jurisdictions across Asia Pacific region.
- Assisted a number of companies in a broad range of sectors to establish comprehensive personal data governance frameworks and policies, including in relation to cross-border transfer of personal data and direct marketing.
- Conducted a privacy audit of a leading luxury hotel's data flows and provided recommendations on best practice for personal data collection and handling.
- Advised a Hong Kong engineering company on a joint venture with a Japanese company for the manufacture of computer hardware to supply a global IT company, including advising on and negotiating a technology license agreement.
- Advised an Asian exchange and clearing house on a software license, implementation, and maintenance agreement with a leading market technology provider for the provision of a new market data system.
- Negotiated a satellite telecommunications capacity agreement for provision of television content across China.
- Advised a number of European and US luxury brands on their distribution and franchise agreements in China and Hong Kong.
- Advised a luxury retail client on an agreement to set up an e-commerce platform in Asia.
- Advised an Asian telecommunications regulator on the legal and regulatory framework governing the recognition of electronic signatures in Hong Kong with a particular focus on the types of technology that attracts the status of a "secure e-signature."
- Advised a Hong Kong start-up company on the launch of an iPhone app providing advice on telecommunications licensing requirements, data protection/privacy issues, direct marketing/advertising, and consumer laws in key target markets across Asia.
- Advised a state-owned Asian telecommunications company on commercial and regulatory issues in the utilization of its submarine cable network through Hong Kong.
- Leading Lawyer (TMT: Information Technology - International Firms, China/Hong Kong) - Chambers Greater China Region (2022)
- Next Generation Lawyers (TMT, Hong Kong), Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020 - 2022)
- Leading Lawyer (TMT: Information Technology - International Firms, China/Hong Kong) - Chambers Asia Pacific (2021)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Hong Kong - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) - Certified Information Privacy Professional
- Hong Kong (2013)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2005)
- University College London (LL.M.) (2007)
- Nottingham Law School (Legal Practice Course) (2002)
- Nottingham Law School (Post Graduate Diploma Law) (2001)
- University of Leicester (B.A. English) (2000)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.