Irshaad Savant is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie’s Employment & Compensation Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Irshaad Savant has extensive experience South African employment law. He has acted for a diverse range of clients, from trade unions to multinational corporations, in an array of industries. He has successfully argued matters in the Labour Court and other fora. Irshaad has been part of legal teams in precedent setting matters and has been instrumental in settling significant disputes.
He has authored and/or co-authored several articles on employment law and presented papers at labour law conferences, including for the South African Society for Labour Law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Being part of a the successful legal team in a precedent setting strike law dispute in the Constitutional Court.
- Being part of the successful legal team in a precedent setting dispute involving labour brokers in the Supreme Court of Appeal.
- Being part of legal teams in disputes before the Essential Services Committee.
- Successfully litigated a number of matters in the other fora, such as the CCMA and Labour Court.
- Reviewed and/or drafted numerous pleadings, employment contracts, opinions, policies, charge sheets, suspension related notices and settlement agreements.
- Facilitated the settlement of many employment law disputes.
- Assisted clients with retrenchment, misconduct and incapacity disputes.
- Assisted with due diligence reports.
- Chaired labour dispute hearings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Legal Practice Council (Gauteng) - Member
- The South African Society for Labour Law - Member
- South Africa (2011)
- University of Witwatersrand (LLB) (2008)
- University of Witwatersrand (BA) (2006)