Jay Patrick Santiago is a senior associate in Quisumbing Torres' Dispute Resolution Practice Group and is part of the firm’s Industrials, Manufacturing & Transportation, and Healthcare & Life Sciences Industry Groups. His practice focuses on international dispute resolution and alternative dispute resolution (ADR), particularly international commercial arbitration and investor-state dispute settlement. His legal experience covers general litigation, arbitration, intra-corporate disputes, taxation, corporate housekeeping, and mergers and acquisitions.
Jay has advised clients across a range of industries, including those in the aviation, construction, healthcare and logistics sectors, with regard to dispute resolution clauses, dispute avoidance, commencement of arbitration in the Philippines, Hong Kong and Singapore, and enforcement or setting aside of arbitral awards in the Philippines.
Jay has acted on various roles in arbitral proceedings – as a party representative, case manager, tribunal secretary, and arbitrator. In 2014, Jay became the first Filipino counsel at the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC). In 2016, he became HKIAC's first accredited arbitral tribunal secretary from the Philippines. He is the youngest member of the technical working group organized by the Philippine government to propose amendments to the Philippines' arbitration law. He is a trained arbitrator of the Philippine Dispute Resolution Center and an accredited arbitrator of the Philippine International Center for Conflict Resolution.
Jay plays an active role in various international and local ADR organizations. He is the Vice President for International Initiatives (Hong Kong) of the Philippine Institute of Arbitrators (PIArb). He is the founding Chairperson of Young PIArb (the first ADR group for young practitioners in the Philippines) and the Chairperson of the Philippine Chapter of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Young Members Group. He is a Regional Representative for North Asia of the ICC Young Arbitrators Forum, a Regional Ambassador of HK45, the Country Representative of the Asia-Pacific Forum for International Arbitration, an Ambassador of the IBA Asia-Pacific Arbitration Group, and a Regional Director of the Center for International Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Jay also handles general and criminal litigation. He acted as a private prosecutor in one of the world's first successful criminal cases against the producers of "crush videos" (i.e., videos showing the abuse and crushing of live animals for sale online).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- ASEAN Law Association - Member
- AIAC Young Practitioners Group - Member
- Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution - Committee Member of Professional Development and Education Committee (2020-2022)
- Asia-Pacific Forum for International Arbitration - Country Representative (2021)
- Benchmark Chambers International & Benchmark International Mediation Center (深圳市蓝海法律查明和商事调解中心) - Member, Expert Pool
- British Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines - Member
- Center for International Alternative Dispute Resolution - Regional Director
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, East Asia Branch - Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Young Members Group - Member and Chairperson (Philippine Chapter)(2021)
- HK45 - Member and Regional Ambassador
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre - Accredited tribunal secretary
- IBA Asia-Pacific Arbitration Group - Ambassador
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum - Member and Regional Representative (North Asia)(2021)
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group - Member
- Philippine Dispute Resolution Center, Inc. - Member and accredited arbitrator
- Philippine Institute of Arbitrators - Member and Vice President for International Initiatives (Hong Kong)(2021)
- Philippine International Center for Conflict Resolution - Accredited arbitrator
- Philippine Office for Alternative Dispute Resolution - Accredited arbitrator
- Young ICCA (International Council for Commercial Arbitration) - Member
- Young Philippine Institute of Arbitrators - Member and Chairperson (2021)
- University of the Philippines - Phi Kappi Phi International Honors Society - Member
- England & Wales (Solicitor)~United Kingdom (2017)
- Philippines (2009)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (Master of Laws in International Business Law with Merit; Chevening scholar) (2019)
- Ateneo de Manila University (Juris Doctor ; Second honors; St. Thomas More Awardee) (2008)
- University of the Philippines (B.S. Public Health; cum laude) (2004)
- Co-author, "Philippines: Recommendation for Virtual Hearings", Quisumbing Torres Client Alert, June 2020
- Co-author, "The Philippine Arbitration Day: A Barometer of the State of Philippine Arbitration", Kluwer Arbitration Blog, January 2020
- Co-author, "The Philippines’ Pro-Arbitration Policy: A Step Forward Gone Too Far?", Kluwer Arbitration Blog, April 2019
- Contributor, "Foreign Investment and Investment Arbitration in Asia", Intersentia, January 2019
- Author, "Challenges Against Arbitrators: The HKIAC Way", Asian Dispute Review, April 2017