Jay Patrick Santiago is a senior associate in Quisumbing Torres' Dispute Resolution Practice Group. His legal experience covers general litigation, arbitration, intra-corporate disputes, taxation, corporate housekeeping, and mergers and acquisitions. In 2014, Jay became the first Filipino counsel at the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre. In 2016, he became HKIAC's first accredited arbitral tribunal secretary from the Philippines. He is the Vice President for International Initiatives (Hong Kong) of the Philippine Institute of Arbitrators and the founding chairperson of Young PIArb, the first young members arbitration organization in the Philippines. He is also the youngest member of the technical working group organized by the Philippine government to propose amendments to the Philippines' arbitration law.
He actively participates as a speaker and presenter in various seminars and conferences on international arbitration-related issues. He wrote articles discussing notable topics in international arbitration and published in various professional and business magazines.
Jay's practice focuses on international and domestic arbitrations. He has advised clients across a range of industries, including those in the aviation, construction, healthcare and logistics sectors, on drafting of dispute resolution clauses, dispute avoidance, arbitration-related interim measures of protection, commencement of arbitration in the Philippines and Hong Kong, and enforcement or setting aside of arbitral awards in the Philippines and Hong Kong.
Jay also excels in general commercial and criminal litigation. He acted as the private prosecutor in one of the world's first successful criminal case against the producers of "crush videos" (i.e., videos showing the abuse and crushing of live animals by scantily clad minors for sale to foreign buyers).
Jay has advised clients on commercial transactions, intra-corporate disputes, corporate and regulatory compliance, government procurement, and mergers and acquisitions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Young Members Group - Member
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre - Accredited tribunal secretary
- Philippine Dispute Resolution Center - Member and Trained Arbitrator
- Philippine Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- Young Philippine Institute of Arbitrators - Member and Founding Chairperson
- ASEAN Law Association - Member
- HK45 - Member
- England & Wales (Solicitor)~United Kingdom (2017)
- Philippines (2009)
- Ateneo de Manila University (J.D. second honors) (2008)
- University of the Philippines (B.S. Public Health cum laude) (2004)