Mr. Sanders focuses primarily on litigation and compliance counseling with respect to CERCLA, RCRA, CWA, TSCA, OSHA and state environmental and product regulations. He advises clients on environmental, health and safety requirements and legal risks with respect to selling and marketing products in the United States. He also advises clients on environmental, health & safety risks and liabilities in transactions, in particular oil and gas and infrastructure transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Act as coordinating counsel for building material manufacturer in litigation across the US involving deceptive trade practices, mislabeling, product liability and personal injury claims.
- Conduct internal investigations and compliance reviews for clients related to environmental, health, safety and substances of concern issues and assist them with preparing comprehensive compliance programs, including making self-disclosures to agencies and representation in enforcement actions.
- Assisted non-US financial entities with respect to internal investigation, mitigation of damages and response to DOJ industry enforcement initiative.
- Advised client on environmental aspects of due diligence and acquisition of public private project relating to drinking water and waste water facilities.
- Represent clients in litigation and agency administrative proceedings relating to NPDES permit compliance and permit appeals.
- Advised client with respect to environmental permitting, compliance and litigation issues as part of a consortium to construct a port off Washington state in the Pacific Ocean.
- Acted as coordinating and trial counsel for US and non-US companies relating to allegations of harmful emissions from products, including in MDL and multi-state litigation.
- Advised non-US companies with respect to federal and state environmental risks and issues relating to their investment in and operation of US oil and gas assets in the Eagle Ford and Barnett Shale
- Represent clients in PRP groups and in CERCLA or state common law litigation relating to historic liabilities at contaminated sites.
- Represented major agribusiness company in litigation by employees and relatives of employees relating to alleged infectious disease outbreak at facility, including representation in NIOSH/CDC investigation.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Sierra Club
- American Apparel and Footwear Association (Environmental Committee)
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia~United States (2016)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2010)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (2000)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1998)
- Illinois~United States (1998)
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D.) (1998)
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service (B.S.F.S.) (1994)
Supreme Court Cuts Back On EPA's Pre-Enforcement Options Under Clean Water Act, Baker McKenzie Client Alert, March 2012
Co-presenter, New Definition of Solid Waste Rule Redefines EPA Authority Over Recycling, Bloomberg BNA, March 2015
Co-presenter, The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP): Fair Practices? - Environmental Chapter, The Knowledge Congress Live Webcast Series, May 2014
Co-presenter, California and Beyond -- An In-Depth Look At Chemical Regulations, Co-Presenter at the American Apparel and Footwear Association Product Safety Seminar, Long Beach, CA, 14 May 2013
Issues and Liabilities under the FDA and the Emphasis on Risk-Based Controls, Baker McKenzie Client Presentation, 5 March 2013