Diego Sánchez Villarreal is a partner in the Firm’s Banking & Finance Practice Group in Mexico City. He has more than 15 years of experience advising on mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, banking and finance, structured finance and private equity matters, including cross-border transactions. Diego has particular experience in banking and finance, pharmaceuticals, agribusiness, iron and steel and oil and gas industries.
Diego's practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and financial transactions. He has negotiated and structured private equity and venture capital projects and advised on complex commercial transactions such as divestitures, Mexican and US-registered public offerings, offerings under Rule 144A private placement offerings outside of the US under Regulation S, exchange offers, debt tenders, consent solicitations, strategic alliances and joint ventures.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Grupo Pantaleon in the acquisition of Ingenio Pánuco, S.A. de C.V. and Ingenio el Mante, S.A. de C.V.
- Advised Blue Torch Finance LLC in the acquisition of Bank of America's credit rights with Celadon Group Inc., to thereafter advise Blue Torch in the sale of Celadon's business in Mexico to Jaguar Transportation Inc. (an affiliate of General Management Co.).
- Advised ALS Global in the acquisition of Laboratorios de Control ARJ, S.A. de C.V., the largest private pharmaceutical testing laboratory in Latin America.
- Advised Credit Suisse and Punto Casa de Bolsa as lead underwriters in the MXN 9.43 billion IPO known as Fibra Educa.
- Advised MGG Capital Partners, as lender, in a cross-border credit facility to Dolphin Discovery, S.A. de C.V., including the execution of a security trust with animals as collateral.
- Advised APP Coatzacoalcos Villahermosa, S.A.P.I. de C.V. (a subsidiary of Mota Engil) in a MXN 1.95 billion securitization of collection rights stemming from a public-private partnership services agreement for the rehabilitation, conservation and maintenance of the Coatzacoalcos – Villahermosa highway, a 10-year project awarded to APP by the Ministry of Communications and Transports.
- Advised Carza in the structuring and placement of its first CKD fund focused on residential real estate for an aggregate amount of MXN 2.47 billion.
- Advised Axis Asset Management in connection with a dispute among the shareholders of Integradora de Servicios Petroleros Oro Negro, an integrated and diversified Mexican oil field services company with more than US 2 billion dollars in assets, concluding with a non-hostile buyout by Axis and a group of private investors.
- Advised Punto Casa de Bolsa as lead underwriter in the MXN 1.57 billion IPO of Némesis Capital known as Fibra Plus.
- Advised Acciones y Valores Banamex as lead underwriter in the placement of Prudential’s second CKD fund for an aggregate amount of MXN 4.42 billion.
- Mexico (2008)
- Columbia University School of Law (LLM) (2012)
- Southern University Law Center (2009)
- Universidad Iberoamericana, A.C. (JD) (2008)
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.