Lauren Salt is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie’s Employment and Compensation Group in Johannesburg. Lauren represents both local and international clients in various industries including financial services, consulting, fast-moving consumer goods, aviation, media, retail, manufacturing and mining. Prior to joining the Firm, Lauren was a senior associate at a leading South African law firm.
Lauren advises clients primarily on industrial relations, employment negotiations, labor dispute resolution, change management and pension-related issues. She counsels clients on strategic issues such as the labor-related implications of mergers and retrenchments. Lauren also represents clients before courts and other bodies, and liaises with trade unions on behalf of corporate clients in negotiating collective agreements. She has extensive experience advising clients on selection and recruitment matters as well as dismissals related to misconduct, poor performance, ill health and operational requirements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on and argued numerous opposed applications, arbitrations and trials, including strike interdicts, restraint of trade applications, unfair labor practice and dismissal disputes.
- Assisted local and international entities on the strategic aspects of section 197 transfers, specifically in the outsourcing and IT domain.
- Advised on transfer of work permits in the transfer of business context, including obtaining new and amended work permits.
- Counseled an international online shopping company and assisted with large-scale retrenchment and labor-related issues arising from closure of local entity.
- Advised on and instituted a damages claim for the recovery of misappropriated public funds.
- Advised a large multinational company on an employment equity investigation by the Department of Labour.
- Advised various entities on planning and reporting obligations in terms of affirmative action provisions of the Employment Equity Act, 1998.
- Advised a listed company on an organizational rights dispute dealing specifically with the application and interpretation of the amended provisions of the Labour Relations Act, 1995.
- Advised companies on various aspects of collective labor law including the conclusion of recognition, wage and continuous operation agreements.
- Advised an industry association on submissions to the minister of labor regarding the feasibility and sustainability of a minimum wage in a specific sector.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- Association of Pension Lawyers - Member
- South African Society for Labour Law - Member
- Notary Public (2014)
- South Africa (2013)
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (LLM summa cum laude) (2010)
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (LLB) (2009)
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (BA Law) (2007)