Andrew Sagor is a partner in Baker McKenzie's New York office and a member of the Firm's North America Transactional Practice Group. Andrew serves as Chair of the Firm's North America Leveraged Finance Practice and Chair of the Firm's North America Banking & Finance Practice. Andrew also serves on a number of the Firm's committees, including the North America Private Equity Steering Committee, the North America Financial Institutions Steering Committee and the North America Transactional Practice Group's Talent Management Committee.
Prior to joining the Firm, Andrew was a partner in the New York office of an international law firm, where he was a member of an industry-leading debt finance practice.
Andrew mainly focuses his practice on structuring and negotiating market-shaping private equity and debt financing transactions. Andrew advises leading private equity firms and their portfolio companies, privately held and publicly traded Fortune 500 companies, hedge funds, alternative asset managers, lenders and other financial institutions on a wide variety of large cap and middle market financing transactions, including major leveraged buyouts, domestic and cross-border acquisitions and other leveraged financings, senior secured debt, high yield, bridge and mezzanine financings, workouts and restructurings, asset-based facilities, purchases of distressed debt and general corporate finance matters. Transactions range in size from tens of millions to in excess of USD 20 billion.
Known for his ability to advocate for clients in high-stakes negotiations and for his solutions-oriented approach, Andrew has successfully handled complex leveraged financing transactions in an array of industries throughout the United States and in international markets, including healthcare, industrials and manufacturing, business services, energy, transportation, technology, media and telecommunications and hospitality.
Representative Legal Matters
- Rimini Street in a USD 90 million corporate financing and redemption of its remaining Series A preferred stock.
- One Equity Partners in its acquisition of AMECO.
- Lendlease (US) Capital Inc. in a USD 300 million sustainability-linked corporate financing.
- American Hotel Register Company in multiple transactions and financing matters, including the sale of its North American hospitality supply business.
- MyTheresa's reorganization in connection with Neiman Marcus's Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Tiger Infrastructure Partners and its portfolio company, Granite Comfort, in multiple transactions and financing matters, including Granite Comfort's acquisition of Signature HVACR.
- Calera Capital in multiple transactions and financing matters, including its acquisition of Thayer Power & Communication Line Construction Company, LLC from The Anderson Group, LLC.
- Brookfield Business Partners in its acquisition of Teekay Offshore Partners and in its subsequent financing matters.
- TPG Capital in its acquisition of Transplace Logistics Solutions and in its subsequent financing matters.
- Baring Private Equity Asia in its investment in Prometric and in its subsequent financing matters.
- Vestar Capital's acquisition of IRI Holdings, Inc. and in its subsequent financing matters.
- Cenveo, Inc. in its debtor-in-possession financing, its exit financing in connection with its reorganization and emergence from Chapter 11 bankruptcy and in its subsequent financing matters.
- J.H. Whitney Capital Partners in connection with its acquisition of the Firebirds Wood Fired Grill restaurant chain and in its subsequent financing matters.
- A subsidiary of Grupo ISA, Interconectado Eléctrica ISA Perú, in its acquisition of Peruvian energy transport company Orazul Energy Group from Inkia Energy.
- The initial purchasers, solicitation agents and lenders in connection with the implementation of a new global funding structure by Encore Capital Group, Inc.(NASDAQ: ECPG), an international specialty finance company.
- Societe Generale and Bank BNP Paribas in financing the electrification and decarbonization of e-buses and associated charging infrastructure for the RED transit system in Santiago, Chile.
- Daiwa Securities Group on its investment in Global X, a US-based issuer of ETFs that is owned by Mirae Asset Global Investments.
- Colfax Corporation in its USD 1.8 billion sale of its Air and Gas Handling business to KPS Capital Partners.
- Danaher Corporation in its USD 21.4 billion acquisition of the biopharma business of General Electric.
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in its investments in Allied Universal.
- Apollo Global Management in various acquisitions and investments, including the Chuck E. Cheese's restaurant chain, Endemol and the joint venture involving Endemol and 21st Century Fox-owned Shine Group, Momentive Performance Materials, McGraw-Hill Education and Verso Corporation.
- Ad hoc committee of first lien secured creditors in a USD 4.25 billion debtor-in-possession and exit financing for Vistra Energy (formerly Texas Competitive Electric Holdings Company LLC).
- Drakewood Capital led-consortium on its acquisition of Small Tubes Products from Quilvest and in its subsequent financing matters.
- Murray Energy Corporation in connection with various refinancing transactions.
- Starr Investment Holdings in connection with the financing for the acquisition of ACA Compliance Group and ACA Compliance Group's subsequent acquisition of Cordium.
- The Carlyle Group in its acquisition of United Road Services.
- Cable & Wireless Communications Plc, a telecommunications services provider, in its acquisition of Columbus International.
*includes matters before joining Baker McKenzie
- Rising Star, New York Super Lawyers, 2018-2021
- Recipient, U.S. Department of State’s Meritorious Honor Award
Prior to law school, Andrew served as the Special Assistant to the US Ambassador-at-Large for War Crimes Issues within the Office of the Secretary of State under two Secretaries of State (General Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Summer Search New York City - Member, Board of Directors
- New York~United States
- New York University School of Law (JD) (2010)
- Amherst College (BA, with distinction) (2003)
Contributor, "2021 US Private Equity Guide," Legal 500, January 2021
Guest Speaker, "Resilience, Recovery & Renewal: A Podcast Series - Episode 11: How Green is Green? The Growth of Sustainable Investment Products," Baker McKenzie Insight, December 2020
Guest Speaker, "Absolute Priority: Liquidity Enhancement Alternatives in the COVID-19 Era," Debtwire Radio, July 2020
Guest Speaker, "How To Maximize Debt Capacity and Best Practices in Strategically Handling COVID19," The Optical Society (OIDA) May 2020
Contributor, "Private Equity Country Comparative Guide," Legal 500, January 2020