Tarek Saad is a partner in the Dubai office and is seasoned in maritime and insurance law. He has over 22 years’ experience in general litigation in the Middle East, and has been practicing in the UAE for more than ten years.
Mr. Saad's extensive experience includes handling claims for shortage, damages, towage and marine salvage disputes, vessel explosion, pollution, causalities at sea, general average, ship arrests (provisional attachments, Charter disputes and insurance settlement of maritime disputes and appearing before the courts at various levels. Mr. Saad also has experience in civil, commercial, real estate, criminal, Intellectual Properties IP and labor litigation in the UAE.
Furthermore, Tarek is specialized in drafting the maritime and shipping legislation in the UAE.
Representative Legal Matters
- Leading the team assigned by the firm in amending and updating the UAE Maritime & Shipping Federal law and regulations.
- Acted as the lead Council for a cross border litigation case and succeeded in arresting an oil shipment on board a vessel in the amount of 10 million dollars
- Represented P&I club in acting on behalf of ship owners regarding disputes arising of fire incident on board vessel and succeeded in obtaining a judicial precedent from the supreme court in the general average and carrier exemptions. Acted as the emergency contact for several P&I clubs in Egypt and UAE.
- Represented the MS al-Salam Boccaccio 98 Egyptian Ro/Ro passenger ferry which sunk in the Red Sea , with over 2,000 casualties.
- Handled several maritime cases for major shipping lines, including Maersk and MSC, Evergreen Line.
- Represented Kuwait Oil Tanker Company and the UK P&I Club on numerous claims relating to major pollution in the Suez Canal.
- Handled numerous cargo claims at Alexandria , Red Sea, Port Said , and Suez Gulf Ports at Egypt along with Jebal Ali, Sharjah, Fujairah, and Abu Dhabi ports at UAE.
- Handled numerous collision matters in the Suez Canal , Red Sea along with several ports in UAE.
- Advised on contracts related to ship finance, Shipbuilding, sale, purchase, vessel chartering, mortgage and registration of ships.
- Handled trademark cases and intellectual property law infringement cases for Nestle and Philip Morris, Marlboro, British American tobacco, Cerrutii, and other global tobacco companies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Egyptian Bar Association
- Egyptian Maritime Association
- Dubai Council for Marine & Maritime Industries (DCMMI)
- Egypt (1994)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (Diploma Maritime Law) (1996)
- Ain Shams University (LL.B.) (1994)