Tarek has extensive experience in civil, commercial, criminal, real estate and shipping disputes as well as intellectual property and employment litigation under UAE law. He appears before the UAE courts at various levels.
Tarek is also a specialist in drafting the maritime and shipping legislation in the UAE. His shipping experience includes handling claims for shortage, damages, towage and marine salvage disputes, vessel explosion, pollution, causalities at sea, general average, ship arrests (provisional attachments, Charter disputes and insurance settlement of maritime disputes).
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the Federal Transport Authority on amending and updating the UAE Federal Maritime law and executive regulations.
- Lead counsel on a successful dispute between two corporations, saving the client AED 65 million.
- Lead counsel on several extradition cases in the UAE, where the public prosecutor ruled to cease the extradition.
- Lead counsel on a cross-border litigation and succeeded in arresting an oil shipment on board a vessel and collected USD 10 million for our client.
- Lead counsel on several successful real estate cases, recovering in excess of AED 10 million on each.
- Lead counsel representing a shipowner and P&I Clubs against an insurance company in General Average at Jebel Ali Port, recovering USD 10 million for the client.
- Represented a P&I club acting on behalf of ship owners regarding disputes arising out of a fire on board a vessel and succeeded in obtaining a judicial precedent from the Supreme Court in the general average and carrier exemptions.
- Acted as the emergency contact for several P&I clubs in Egypt and UAE.
- Represented the MS al-Salam Boccaccio 98 Egyptian Ro/Ro passenger ferry, which sunk in the Red Sea, with over 2,000 casualties.
- Handled several maritime cases for major shipping lines, including Maersk, MSC and Evergreen Line.
- Represented Kuwait Oil Tanker Company and the UK P&I Club on numerous claims relating to a major pollution in the Suez Canal.
- Handled numerous cargo claims at Alexandria, Red Sea, Port Said, and Suez Gulf Ports in Egypt as well as at Jebel Ali, Sharjah, Fujairah, and Abu Dhabi ports in the UAE.
- Handled numerous collision matters at the Suez Canal, Red Sea as well as at several ports in the UAE.
- Advised on contracts related to ship finance, shipbuilding, sale, purchase, vessel chartering, mortgage and registration of ships.
- Handled trademark infringement cases and other IP infringement cases on behalf of Nestle, Philip Morris, Marlboro, British American Tobacco, Cerruti, and other global companies.
- Managed and advised on Middle East aspects of global trademark portfolios for multinational companies in different industries such as automotive, software, energy and petrochemical, food and beverages etc.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Egyptian Bar Association
- Egyptian Maritime Association
- Dubai Council for Marine & Maritime Industries (DCMMI)
- Egypt (1994)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (Diploma Maritime Law) (1996)
- Ain Shams University (LL.B.) (1994)