Naomita Royan is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Melbourne, and a member of the Firm’s Compliance & Investigations team in Australia. Between August 2014 and December 2016, she was seconded to the Firm’s Washington, DC office to work in the North American Compliance, Investigations & Government Enforcement Practice Group.
Prior to joining the Firm in 2009, Naomita was a research fellow at the Melbourne Law School's Centre for Media and Communications Law, working on a project funded by the Australian Research Council. She has published academic works on Malaysian, Singaporean and Indonesian media laws and has wide-ranging knowledge of those countries’ legal systems.
Naomita’s practice includes representing clients on a broad range of compliance and dispute resolution matters, including commercial and white-collar litigation, corporate and government investigations, anti-corruption compliance, compliance risk assessments, anti-corruption due diligence on third parties and targets, and compliance program development and implementation. Naomita also works with legal departments and compliance officers to advise them on compliance trends and government expectations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a global telecommunications giant on compliance program enhancements and implementation, risk assessments, and due diligence (including pre- and post-acquisition plans) for targets, as well as remediation of identified compliance issues.
- Advising multiple multinational companies on compliance issues, developing compliance training, and conducting compliance due diligence on third parties and targets in various jurisdictions.
- Advised a financial institution on anti-money laundering risk management in Latin America after assisting in an internal investigation related to potential breaches of anti-money laundering regulations.
- Conducted compliance risk assessments for multinational companies, including for operations in India, Malaysia, the US and Zimbabwe.
- Undertook an anti-bribery investigation for a US-based global event and experience marketing agency in India.
- Advised an Australian subsidiary of a global company in relation to local and regional bribery- and corruption-related issues, including assisting to assess organizational risk and develop practical and tailored compliance procedures.
- Represented an individual in an Australian Securities & Investments Commission investigation and prosecution as well as related Federal Court of Australia proceedings in relation to a number of unregistered managed investment schemes controlling substantial property interests across Australia and New Zealand.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Institute of Victoria - Member
- High Court of Australia (2010)
- Victoria~Australia (2009)
- College of Law (Graduate Diploma Legal Practice) (2009)
- University of Melbourne (LL.B.) (2005)
- University of Melbourne (Bachelor of Commerce) (2005)
- Bahasa Malaysia
- Kuala Lumpur
- Washington, DC