John P. Rowley III is an accomplished trial lawyer and former federal prosecutor with more than 25 years experience defending white collar criminal cases and handling complex civil disputes.
John served as Assistant U.S. Attorney and Branch Chief for the Eastern District of Virginia, and received the Department of Justice Director’s Award for Superior Performance. Prior to joining the Firm, he held two additional leadership positions in government: Chief Counsel to the US House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and Staff Director for the congressionally-mandated US Department of Defense panel created to investigate allegations of misconduct at the US Air Force Academy. In the latter positon, he played a key role in the panel’s work and recommendations to the Secretary of Defense and the House and Senate Armed Services Committees.
John attended the University of Richmond Law School, where he was a member of the Law Review. He also holds an MBA from the University of Notre Dame. After law school, John had the privilege of serving as law clerk for the Honorable John A. Field, Jr., US Circuit Judge for the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a global company in the first FCPA investigation by the Department of Justice (DoJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) of a Brazilian multinational, involving transactions in Latin America, Asia, Middle East and Africa.
- Represented a Brazilian corporation and U.S. “issuer” in one of the largest FCPA settlements of bribery allegations arising from Brazil’s Lava Jato (Operation Car Wash) anticorruption probe.
- Represented an international construction company in an FCPA investigation related to a project in the Middle East.
- Represented a government contractor in a five-week jury trial of an FCA case brought by the DoJ based on allegations of organizational conflicts of interest related to work performed for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the Department of Energy.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a national healthcare provider in a qui tam case following intervention in the litigation by the DoJ.
- Represented a Department of Defense (DoD) contractor in a theft of trade secrets and Economic Espionage Act investigation conducted by the DoJ and FBI.
- Represented a DoD contractor in a bribery and conflict of interest investigation conducted by the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command in South Korea.
- Awarded judgment for specific performance of a teaming agreement for a USD 150 million commercial subcontract in a U.S. Navy/NASA project.
- Obtained a jury verdict for a Belgian air jet weaving machine manufacturer sued for USD 100 million by a Swiss competitor alleging infringement of its patents.
- Secured a summary judgment for a member of a limited liability company that was defending a USD 70 million judgment awarded for infringement of the company’s patents.
- Virginia~United States
- District of Columbia~United States
- State University of New York at Oneonta (B.A.)
- University of Richmond (J.D.)
- University of Notre Dame (M.B.A.)