Kevin Rooney practices in corporate and securities law. He is recognized as one of Canada’s leading lawyers in the area of mining and natural resources law in The International Who’s Who of Mining Lawyers 2010 and 2011 as well as in the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada and Chambers Global –The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business. He has been recognized in the 2013 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in mining law. In 1992, Mr. Rooney completed a nine-month secondment with the Corporate Finance Branch of the Ontario Securities Commission where he was responsible for reviewing and clearing prospectuses and considering applications for relief from the prospectus requirements of the Securities Act (Ontario).
Mr. Rooney has been involved in numerous offerings of equity securities, corporate reorganizations and restructurings, takeover bids, acquisitions and dissident proxy solicitations. He has accumulated extensive experience in a wide variety of financing and M&A transactions for issuers in various industries, such as mining, financial services, biotechnology and medical devices, software development, gaming and alternative energy. He has been involved in numerous matters in Latin American markets.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a dual NASDAQ/TSX listed pharmacy benefit manager in its USD12.8 billion merger with a subsidiary of an NYSE company.
- Represented a TSXV-listed investment company in equity offerings raising over CAD385 million and the related acquisition of a US specialty insurance company and the establishment and capitalization of a U.S.-based investment manager.
- Represented an NYSE listed company in its proposed USD40 billion acquisition of two Canadian mining companies.
- Represented a TSX listed mining company in its CAD4.1 billion take-over by another TSX listed mining company.
- Represented an NYSE listed company in connection with its USD2.1 billion acquisition of a TSX listed consumer products company.
- Represented a TSX listed investment company in its CAD265 million acquisition of a private Canadian property and casualty insurance company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada - Member
- Ontario~Canada (1990)
- York University (Osgoode Hall) (LL.M.) (1998)
- University of Toronto (LL.B.) (1988)
- University of Waterloo (BES) (1985)