Dr. Tobias F. Rohner is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Zurich office. Tobias has significant experience in Swiss and international tax planning matters for corporations and high net worth individuals. He is a lecturer in tax law at Zurich University and Zurich University of Applied Sciences, and a frequent speaker at national and international conferences. Further, he is also a judge at the Zurich Court of Tax Appeals. He also regularly writes articles on taxation. Clients state in Legal 500 (2017) that “the professional Tobias F Rohner shows great commitment, readiness and devotion towards the best result” and in Legal 500 (2018) that he is "a very skillful, energetic and committed negotiator."
Tobias has broad experience in corporate and individual tax matters. He focuses his practice on corporate tax planning for Swiss and multinational companies, cross-border business restructuring, real estate transactions and VAT. He advises on all tax aspects of reorganizations and M&A transactions as well as equity compensation programs. He also assists private clients in wealth planning and voluntary disclosures, and represents them in tax audits and litigation.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Tobias worked on the following matters:
- Advised several multinational companies and private clients in tax litigations before tax authorities and the Swiss Supreme Court.
- Represented several real estate companies in real estate transactions and in the set-up of tax structures.
- Represented numerous companies in connection with relocation to or exit from Switzerland.
- Represented numerous financial institutions in connection with financing transactions.
- Advised various Swiss banks and other financial intermediaries in connection with internal investigations and on administrative assistance.
- Advised numerous companies in connection with restructurings and reorganizations as well as post-acquisition integration.
- Advised numerous private and corporate clients on voluntary disclosure matters.
- Advised numerous private clients on estate and tax planning matters.
- Indirect Tax Leader, International Tax Review 2017-2018
- Recognized in Tax, Switzerland, Legal 500 EMEA 2017-2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Zurich Court of Tax Appeals - Judge
- National Tax Journal Zurcher Steuerpraxis - Member of the Editorial Board
- Zurich Bar Association
- Swiss Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association (IFA)
- Swiss Expert Association for Audit, Tax and Fiduciary
- Alumni Association of the University of St Gallen (HSG) - Member of the Board
- Major in the Swiss Army
- Zurich~Switzerland (2004)
- Swiss Certified Tax Expert (2008)
- University of St. Gallen (Dr. iur. HSG) (2007)
- University of St. Gallen (lic. iur. HSG) (2002)
- University of Lausanne (2000)
- Author, "Direkte Stellvertretung nach Art. 20 Abs. 2 MWSTG – Eine Analyse der aktuellsten Rechtsprechung", zsis, 01/2020
- Author, "Nachträgliche Änderung der Umsatzsteuerschuld und des Vorsteuerabzugs - Eine kritische Würdigung der Verwaltungspraxis", zsis, 09/2019
- Co-author, Swiss contribution, "Family Offices: The STEP Handbook for Advisers, Second Edition," May 2019
- Author, "Meldeverfahren bei der MWST unter besonderer Berücksichtigung von Umstrukturierungen", IFF Forum für Steuerrecht, Issue No. 2, 2019, p. 144 et sqq.
- Co-author, Swiss Contribution to the book: Family Offices: The STEP Handbook for Advisers, Second Edition
Baker & McKenzie Zurich and Baker & McKenzie Geneva are each members of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.