Daniel Robyn is a partner in the Firm’s Corporate and Securities Practice Group in Los Angeles (Century City) and San Francisco.
He advises clients on a wide range of cross-border transactional matters, including “Going Global'” “International Expansion” in APAC, EMEA and LATAM, carve-outs and spin-offs of business divisions, corporate implementation of tax-driven restructurings, pre-acquisition planning, and post-acquisition integrations. Being admitted to practice law in both California and Germany, he also advises German, Austrian, Swiss and other foreign companies on doing business in the United States.
Daniel’s practice focuses on global corporate restructuring projects for small, medium, and large public or private companies, including pre-transaction planning, separation/carve-outs and spin-offs of business divisions, holding company restructurings, IP restructurings, cash repatriations, and post-acquisition integrations. He advises clients on separating business units worldwide in anticipation of a sale or spin-off; integrating subsidiaries globally after an acquisition; reorganizing ownership of subsidiaries, intellectual property or other assets; implementing corporate transactions outside of the US, including mergers, demergers, asset transfers, contributions, and distributions in APAC, EMEA and LATAM.
Daniel counsels companies on expanding their international operations by forming subsidiaries, branches or representative offices around the world. He also helps multinational companies establish global corporate compliance programs and advises on entity rationalizations.
Due to his legal background he also serves as liaison counsel to German, Austrian and Swiss companies in their defense against product liability or commercial lawsuits in the US.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a Silicon Valley-based global technology/security company on the separation and sale of one of its major business units in 50+ jurisdictions (USD 7.4 billion).
- Advised a Europe-based global medical devices company on the separation and sale of one of its major business units in 25+ jurisdictions (USD 6.1 billion).
- Advised a US-based global communications company on the sale of one of its major business units in 20+ jurisdictions (USD 1.2 billion).
- Advised a leading US-based technology company on the pre-separation planning for the contemplated sale of one of its major business units to a foreign investor in 20+ jurisdictions.
- Advised multiple Silicon Valley-based global technology companies on the post-acquisition integration of their entities in APAC, EMEA, and LATAM, involving non-US mergers, demergers, asset transfers, and share transfers.
- Advised a leading California Pharmaceutical company on the corporate implementation of its intercompany restructuring involving entities in EMEA and Americas.
- Advised multiple US-based technology companies on their global expansion in APAC, EMEA, and LATAM.
- Advised a leading Los Angeles-based entertainment company on corporate compliance aspects of its foreign subsidiaries.
- Advised an Austrian heavy machinery equipment manufacturer on various aspects of doing business in the United States.
- Served as liaison counsel to multiple German companies in their defense against lawsuits filed in the US involving contractual liability and product liability.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German American Lawyers Association (DAJV)
- California~United States (2002)
- Germany (2000)
- University of Cologne (Second State Exam) (2000)
- University of Georgia (LL.M.) (1998)
- University of Cologne (First State Exam) (1997)