Fernando Robles heads Baker McKenzie's Intellectual Property Practice Group in Guadalajara, and is the national leader of the IP litigation and anti-counterfeiting practices in Mexico. He has been involved in IP litigation matters since 2001. His experience includes trademarks, patents, copyrights and other IP related subjects, and is proficient in the areas of enforcement and prosecution.
Fernando focuses his practice on the design and execution of high-level strategies, including cases of "trademark hijacking," and complex cancellation actions for trademarks, patents and designs. He is also involved in innovative cases for IP in Mexico. This includes secondary meaning, extension of life-term of patents, trade-dress, unfair competition, internet infringement and international treaties. He frequently advises on IP issues in relation to other areas of law such as tax, data privacy, parallel imports, employment, corporate, foreign trade, antitrust, and criminal and civil law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on at least 10 cases that are currently in jurisprudence in Mexico.
- Litigating innovative intellectual property matters in Mexico, including secondary meaning and life-term extension of patents.
- Preparing full strategies to avoid dilution of distinctiveness of trademarks.
- Coordinating day-to-day operations in Mexico for the entire litigation portfolio of one of the world’s leading consumer goods companies.
- Coordinating anti-counterfeit strategies, including administrative, criminal and civil actions.
- Coordination of Trademark Portfolio management, for Mexican companies around the globe.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico A.P. - Member
- Mexican Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AMPPI) - Chair of the West Committee
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Member of the Unfair Competition Committee
- Endeavor - Mentor
- Mexico (2005)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (Diplomado en Derecho Tributario) (2008)
- Universidad Marista (Master Constitutional Law (M.D.)) (2006)
- Universidad Marista (Lic. en Derecho) (2004)
- Mexico City
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.