Alex C. Roberts practices in the areas of banking and finance, financial services, project finance, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate reorganizations and restructurings and general corporate commercial law. He routinely handles multijurisdictional secured and unsecured lending transactions with an emphasis on asset-based lending, acquisition financings, project finance and structured finance. He also acts for clients in numerous acquisitions and divestiture transactions, as well as complex corporate and tax reorganizations and restructurings and plans of arrangement involving both private and public companies and private equity funds.
Alex acts for public and private companies and private equity funds in connection with mergers and acquisitions and corporate reorganization and restructuring transactions. He also represents financial institutions in connection with asset-based lending, project finance and structured finance transactions, as well as acting for the Firm's corporate clients in connection with their banking and lending arrangements. He has also acted for purchasers and target companies in connection with takeover bids, mergers and other types of acquisitions and reorganizations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counsel to the lenders in connection with a $43 million project financing transaction in respect of the 27 MW wind farm in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Counsel to the lender in connection with a $55 million working capital and equipment credit facility transaction to a group of borrowers operating a steel manufacturing facility.
- Counsel to Asia Thai Mining Co., Ltd. in connection with its financing arrangements relating to $158 million acquisition of Pan African Mining Corp., a TSX listed company, by way of plan of arrangement.
- Counsel to a TSX and NASDAQ listed corporation in the telecommunications industry in respect of $225 million divestiture of fibre optic cable throughout parts of Canada and the U.S.
- Counsel to a TSX and NASDAQ listed corporation in respect of $162 million corporate tax reorganization which included disposition of assets and subsequent disposition of Canadian and U.S. corporations to a U.S.-based purchaser.
- Counsel to a Canadian private equity fund in connection with its $90 million acquisition financing of a Canadian healthcare business purchased from a U.S. public company and $63 million senior credit facility and $10 million subordinated debt arrangements in connection therewith.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario~Canada (1996)
- University of Western Ontario (LL.B.) (1994)
- University of Waterloo (B.A.) (1991)