Siranya is a partner in the Intellectual Property and Technology practice group. She joined Baker McKenzie's Bangkok office in 2014 after working as a trial lawyer where she represented and counseled companies in commercial disputes at a New York-based firm.
Siranya has garnered a wealth of experience in areas including IP commercialization, technology transactions and data privacy. Her expertise in IP law has also been demonstrated through regular speaking engagements and a variety of published articles.
Representative Legal Matters
Siranya represents a wide variety of clients across multiple areas including:
- Intellectual property law including advising IP owners on the legal protection of copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets and other valuable intangible assets, IP acquisition, development, and content licensing; counseling on legal risks of IP infringement and strategies.
- Drafting and negotiating IP commercialization agreements, developing and implementing strategies of international franchise expansion projects, structured commercial agreements and advising on local franchising and regulatory compliance.
- Representing multinational technology companies on copyright and trademark infringement disputes and providing pre-litigation advice, developing case strategies on potential IP infringement litigation, and advising on courses of action available for IP protection.
- Technology transactions including assisting technology owners and customers in digital transformation and technology acquisition mandates; drafting, negotiating, and providing post-deal counsel for procurement of technology and IT systems; as well as advising global automotive companies on telematics services, regulatory compliance, telecommunication issues, data sharing, and user terms and conditions.
- Assisting multinational messaging service providers in legal disputes regarding trademark issues, telecommunications law, and contractual liabilities; and assisting financial institutions and fintech companies on IT system acquisition and implementation, block-chain based platform operations, and online platform services.
- Counseling telecommunication service providers in the e-visa project in co-operation with the Immigration Bureau for the services offered to 21 countries entitled to visa on arrival in Thailand.
- Data privacy in matters such as: assisting clients with the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) readiness project and preparing key legal documents for compliance with the PDPA; advising multinational companies in various industries on compliance with the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the PDPA, and key differences in legal obligations and legal liabilities under both laws.
- Assisting various industries ranging from automotive, healthcare services, financial institutions, e-payment service providers and multinational technology solution providers in structuring and drafting data protection and data processing agreements, as well as international data transfer agreements in connection with the use of block-chain based technology, authentication technology and new forms of online platforms.
- Advising on e-commerce, computer-related crime, online business operations and the legal protection thereof, e-signatures, direct sales and direct marketing, cybersecurity, digital content, illegal content and security breaches, consumer protection law, advertising, gambling, security breaches, and legal issues relating to the implementation of new technologies.
- Representing multinational technology clients in dealing with government authorities related to lese majeste, illegal online content, computer crimes, notice-and-take-down procedures, and defamation in addition to handling and responding to law enforcement requests, subpoenas, and court summonses.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lawyers Council of Thailand
- Member, New York Intellectual Property Law Association, Trade Mark Law and Practice
- Member, Asian American Bar Association of New York
- New York~United States (2013)
- Thailand (2009)
- New York University School of Law (LLM) (2013)
- University of Melbourne (Master of Law) (2012)
- Chulalongkorn University (LLB 1st class honors) (2008)
Siranya has been a speaker, trainer, panelist and lecturer for numerous clients and institutions, including Assumption and Kasetsart Universities; the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce; German-Thai Chamber of Commerce; American Chamber of Commerce in Thailand; the Electronic Transaction Development Agency; the Bangkok Post; the International Publishers Congress; and to the chief justice and the associate justices of the IP&IT Court of Thailand.
Siranya has also published articles on trade secrets, data protection, franchising, enforcement, competition and IP laws with various outlets, including the World Trademark Review, Asia IP and Baker McKenzie's own Global Trade Secrets Handbook.