Helgard Janse van Rensburg is a senior associate in the Corporate and M&A Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Helgard specialises in real estate related M&A and commercial real estate developments. He routinely carries out real estate due diligence investigations and advises developers, investors and managers on the structuring and implementation of real estate developments, mergers and acquisitions. He regularly drafts, reviews and negotiates sale and purchase agreements, lease agreements, real estate joint venture and co-ownership agreements, development agreements, development management agreements, asset management agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as advisor to unlisted real estate fund and a South African based property investment trust in respect of an interlinked disposal of their commercial property portfolios to a listed REIT, with a value of approximately ZAR 1.65 billion.
- Acted for a South African based property investment company in respect of the disposal of a controlling interest in a residential development to a listed REIT, with a value of approximately ZAR 225 million.
- Acted for a South African based property investment company in respect of the acquisition of two office to residential conversions (at various stages of completion) from a listed REIT, with a value of approximately ZAR 85 million.
- Acted for a consortium of four South African based property holding companies in relation to the attempted listing of a student housing portfolio as a real estate investment trust on the JSE and advised them on the disposal of their property portfolios (with an aggregate value of approximately ZAR 1.3 billion).
- Acted for a South African property developer in respect of various student accommodation developments in Pretoria and Johannesburg, providing structuring advice and drafting various transaction documents in relation to the projects, including joint venture agreements, development agreements and management agreements.
- Acted for a South African developer in respect of an aged care facility in Pretoria, providing structuring advice and drafting transaction agreements.
- Carrying out an extensive due diligence investigation into a number of commercial properties for an international shipping company.
- Acted for a state owned, public entity and conducted numerous corporate due diligence investigations into applications for funding for the development of new technologies.
- Acted for a South African based property developer in relation to the acquisition of a letting enterprise conducted in respect of a commercial office park.
- Formed part of the team that advised a state-owned public entity in relation to the construction and acquisition of a new head office in Pretoria, providing structuring advice and drafting the transaction agreements, including a development and land acquisition agreement.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2014)
- University of Witwatersrand (Post Graduate Certificate in Advanced Company Law 1) (2015)
- University of Witwatersrand (Post Graduate Certificate in Advanced Company Law 2) (2015)
- University of Stellenbosch (LLB) (2011)
- University of Stellenbosch (BCom) (2009)