Alanna Rennie is an Associate in Baker McKenzie's Sydney office where she focuses on plant intellectual property and M&A.
Alanna has played a central role in initiating the firm's global Plant Variety Initiative and has guided companies on plant variety registration, commercialisation and enforcement strategies in China and Australia. Alanna is admitted in Australia and holds a bachelor of laws (honours) from Bond University and Masters in Chinese Law from Tsinghua University.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised several major Australian and New Zealand breeding companies on strategic plant variety licensing strategies and pro forma documentation.
- Advised a major US breeding company on enforcement strategy in China.
- Assisted CIOPORA plant breeder association on lobbying efforts in China and Australia.
- Advised GlaxoSmithKline on a global restructure and joint venture with Pfizer combing their consumer healthcare businesses.
- Advised Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation's acquisition of Colonial First State Global Asset Management from Commonwealth Bank of Australia for AUD 4.1 billion.
- Advised multinational security group Securitas' acquisition of Staysafe security electronic monitoring business in Australia.
- New South Wales (2018)
- High Court of Australia (2018)
- Tsinghua University (Masters in Chinese Law) (2019)
- Bond University (Bachelor of Laws ) (2016)
Reforms underway for Medicinal Cannabis in Australia
Australian Government Reviews Regulatory Framework for Medicinal Cannabis Cultivation, Production and Manufacture
The Path is Open for Gene Editing of Plants and Animals in Australia