Michael D. Rechtin Jr.'s practice has a focus on data center, headquarters, office, industrial and retail leasing. He also handles data center transactions in general, build-to-suit transactions, acquisitions, dispositions, financings, joint ventures and development. With more than 20 years of real estate law experience, Mr. Rechtin has represented life insurance companies both locally and nationally, Fortune 500 companies, pension funds and pension fund advisors, investment advisory groups, commercial developers, real estate entrepreneurs, REITs and professional services firms.
Mr. Rechtin represents clients on all related and tangential agreements in connection with data center work, including service level agreements (SLA), tax abatement and exemption agreements, vendor agreements, indefeasible right of use (IRU) agreements, telco and fiber licenses (long haul and last mile), master service agreements (MSA), service orders, and meet-me-room-related agreements (MMR).
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising Comcast Corporation on its entire data center portfolio. Recent highlights include a national wholesale data center lease (9.6 MW) and another national build-to-suit wholesale data center lease (7.8 MW). Advised on numerous regional colocation data center leases and licenses ranging from 1.2MW to 250KW.
- Advising a national/international data center developer in the US, UK and Netherlands in buying and financing the development of wholesale data centers.
- Advising various clients on all related and tangential agreements in connection with data center work, including service level agreements (SLA), tax abatement and exemption agreements, vendor agreements, indefeasible right of use (IRU) agreements, telco and fiber licenses (long haul and last mile), master service agreements (MSA), service orders, and meet-me-room-related agreements (MMR).
- Advising an Am Law 20 law firm on its 300,000 square foot Chicago headquarters office lease.
- Advising several Fortune 500 companies and large professional services firms on their owned and leased real estate holdings.
- Advising several institutional investors on their acquisition, disposition, development and financing strategies.
- Advising the owners of various downtown and suburban Chicago office buildings on leasing and management.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Illinois Bar Association - Member
- North Branch Works - Secretary and Board of Directors Member
- Northwestern University Graduate School of Engineering - Adjunct Professor
- Illinois~United States (1992)
- University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D. cum laude) (1992)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Bachelor of Science dean's list) (1989)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.