Paul is the Global Chair of Baker McKenzie. An intellectual property lawyer by background, Paul led Baker McKenzie's global IP practice from 2004 to 2010 and then served as London Managing Partner from 2013 to 2016. Since his appointment as Global Chair in October 2016, Paul has been interviewed by a wide range of international media including CNBC (where he also co-hosted the influential Squawk Box show), the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg and Reuters. He has also attended the World Economic Forum Annual Meetings in Davos. He is a board member for the Thomson Reuters Trust Law Foundation and is also an active supporter of World Business Council on Sustainable Development. Paul was ranked as the leading lawyer in the Male Champion of Women in Business in the UK by the Financial Times and HERoes, a gender-equality initiative and was the sole private sector representative at the United Nations launch event for "Champions of the Global Equal Pay Coalition".
Follow Paul on Twitter @MrPaulRawlinson
Paul has gained a wide range of experience in trade mark, trade secret, passing off, copyright, design and technology issues. He advises a range of global clients with extensive IP portfolios on strategies for protection and enforcement of their IP rights. He has been instrumental in developing new ways of working with global clients and pioneered the IP group's off-shoring strategy involving the creation of its Global IP Support Centre in Manila. Paul counts Cisco, L’Oréal, HP, JCB, British American Tobacco, and Eli Lilly, among clients he represents both with respect to their UK legal matters and, for many, as coordinator for their global IP needs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented L'Oréal before the European Court of Justice in the leading trade mark case of L'Oréal v Bellure concerning the sale of look-a-like and smell-a-like fragrances, which raised questions of critical importance to the protection of well-known brands.
- Acted for Stella McCartney/YSL Beauté in successfully resisting a High Court injunction application and the high-profile attempt by Ali Hewson's skincare company Nude Brands to prevent the launch of the new Stellanude perfume.
- Lead the team acting for the UK Football Association Premier League as preferred advisors in relation to its global Anti-Counterfeiting Programme.
- Defended Sportingbet from an attack on the ownership of its domain name <wallstreet.com> before the World Intellectual Property Office (WIPO) domain name disputes panel.
- Lead the team managing Calvin Klein's IP enforcement programme for Europe and the Middle East.
- Advising British American Tobacco in relation to trade mark and other IP matters.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- IACC - Member
- BASCAP - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Member
- Association des Practiciens du Droit des Marques et des Modèles (APRAM) - Board Member
- Hong Kong (1992)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1988)
- College of Law at Guildford (L.S.F.) (1986)
- University of Paris XI (Licence en droit) (1985)
- University of Kent at Canterbury (B.A. Law) (1984)
- Hong Kong