Deepa Ramjee is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Deepa has experience in a range of commercial advisory work focusing on information technology and telecommunications, data protection and privacy-related concerns, administrative/public law and other regulatory matters. Her information technology advisory work includes significant cross-border and local work for large multinational corporations and some of the world's largest technology providers.
Deepa also brings with her the experience gained from her secondment at a large multinational technology company, providing internet-related services, products and media content in South Africa. Her experience provided her with comprehensive insights into the policy and legal teams' inner workings and needs, and with an understanding of the compliance risks affecting the technology and telecommunications industries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a South African Bank on the regulatory issues pertaining to the impact of Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) on its business and operations.
- Assisted a multinational technology company in the preparation and review of terms and conditions for various applications, products, media content and promotional offers to users of various online social media and media sales platforms.
- Advised a US-based pharmaceutical manufacturer on the filing and approval requirements in anticipation of the commencement of POPI.
- Assisted a German multinational manufacturer of materials, in respect to the centralisation of email-hosting services, mobile device data, network management and network security in a foreign country and its obligations under POPI and other regulations for the storage of data, international data transfers, the security measures required for processing personal information and the handling of technical data and cryptography.
- Advised a global retailer of hardware and software on the launch of new products in South Africa, including the scope of regulation applicable and a broad range of related regulatory advice in respect to consumer protection, electronic sales and marketing regulation, privacy, copyright, data protection, interception of communications, content regulation and intermediary liability.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2014)
- University of Cape Town (LL.B.) (2011)
- Stellenbosch University (B.A.) (2008)