Viren Raja is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Viren mainly assists in matters relating to insolvency, business rescue, and general commercial and related disputes. He has worked on various mediation and arbitration proceedings as well as high court litigation in various commercial sectors. He has represented national and multinational clients in the banking, financial, construction, hotel, mining, security, risk management and logistics sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted in advising leading financial houses in South Africa in relation to a complex shareholders dispute involving the Steinhoff collapse.
- Conducts investigations, and advises and assists local and multinational clients, relating to breaches of anti-bribery, corruption, fraud, and money laundering laws and regulations, including in respect of reporting obligations, interactions with authorities, remedial measures and resulting criminal and civil proceedings.
- Represented and advised various mining and commercial companies in relation to their claims and rights in the business rescues of their respective debtors.
- Assisted in advising a leading banking institution in South Africa on its duties as a trustee of a collective investment scheme.
- Represented and advised the Reserve Bank of South Africa in relation to various insolvency related matters.
- Assisted in acting for a large JSE-listed construction company in arbitration proceedings and various insolvency-related matters.
- Assisted in representing a large management and business process outsourcing company in a litigation involving complex contractual issues.
- Assisted in acting for one of the largest multinational technology and on-line platform companies providing internet and related service products in various litigious matters involving their services.
- Assisted in representing a multinational food processing and packaging solutions company in insolvency and business rescue proceedings in its capacity as a major creditor.
- Assisted in advising and representing an international services, trading and distribution company, listed on the JSE, South Africa in various litigious commercial disputes.
- Assisted in advising and representing a large international mining company listed on the JSE, South Africa in various litigious commercial disputes.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Law Society of the Northern Provinces of South Africa - Member
- South African Restructuring and Insolvency Practitioners Association - Member
- INSOL International - Member
- High Court of South Africa~South Africa (2015)
- University of Johannesburg (Short Learning Programme in Business Rescue) (2016)
- Rhodes University (LL.B.) (2012)
- Rhodes University (B.A. Law and Organisational Psychology) (2010)