Zoë Hilson is a partner in the Energy, and Natural Resources and Mining, teams at Baker McKenzie, Sydney. Zoë focuses primarily on project development and transactions within the energy and resources industries. She is a member of the Resources and Energy Law Association and the Australian Institute of Energy.
Zoë has advised clients in connection with a number of significant energy and resources transactions, as well as on developing energy and resource projects. This includes the development and acquisition of significant renewable energy projects, particularly solar and wind projects. Zoë often advises in-bound investors on the acquisition, sale or development of energy or resource interests in Australia. She has also advised the NSW state government on various aspects of the privatisation of the NSW electricity industry, including the sale of the state-owned retail businesses, separation of the network businesses and the sale of a number of power development projects. Zoë advises clients on joint venture arrangements — both incorporated and unincorporated — and participating in competitive bid processes for the development of energy and resource projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised NSW Government on its AUD1.5 billion sale of Macquarie Generation's assets to AGL, including the Liddell and Bayswater power stations.
- Advised NSW Government on its sale of Eraring Energy's generation assets to Origin Energy, including the Eraring power station and Shoalhaven Scheme.
- Advised NSW Government on its sale of its renewable energy assets, including the Hume and Burrinjuck hydro facilities and Blayney and Crookwell wind farms.
- Advised NSW Government on its AUD5.3 billion energy reform arrangements, including the sale of electricity retail businesses, gas retailers, development sites and generation trading arrangements.
- Advised Origin Energy Limited on its interest in the APLNG Pty Limited LNG joint venture in Queensland, including governance issues.
- Advised Origin Energy Limited on a number of wind farm acquisitions, including its acquisition of Wind Power Pty Ltd and assets from Epuron Pty Limited and the development of its wind energy portfolio.
- Advised Origin Energy LPG Limited on its acquisition of LPG assets from BP Refinery (Bulwer Island) Pty Ltd, including eight LPG bullets and associated pipelines and property rights.
- Advised Eurus Energy on its acquisition of the 53 MW Hallett 5 wind farm from AGL Energy.
- Advised TEPCO on the sale of its shares in Great Energy Alliance Corporation Pty Limited (the owner of Loy Yang A power station) to AGL Generation Pty Ltd (a subsidiary of AGL Energy Limited).
- Advised RATCH Australia on its acquisition of an 80% interest in the Transfield Infrastructure Fund (the owner of a number of power assets, including operating wind farms and a wind farm development portfolio).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Australian Institute of Energy - Member
- AMPLA, Resources and Energy Law Association - Member
- New South Wales~Australia (2004)
- Australian National University (LL.B.)
- Australian National University (Bachelor of Economics)