Ken Quinn is a partner in the North America International Commercial Practice Group in Washington, DC. He is Global Chair, Aviation, and co-chair of the Unmanned Aircraft Systems multidisciplinary team.
Ken is a former chief counsel of the US Federal Aviation Administration (1991-93), counselor to the Secretary of Transportation (1989-91), and senior advisor to the Office of the President-Elect (1988). He has served as general counsel and secretary of the Flight Safety Foundation for the past 15 years. He is a fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, is counsel to its DC Branch, and serves on the RAeS Membership Board. He served as President of the International Aviation Club (2015-16).
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing Delta Air Lines in litigation in DC Circuit, 5th Circuit, Northern District of Texas, and FAA in a dispute with the city of Dallas and Southwest over gates and flights at Love Field.
- Representing one of the world’s largest social media companies in projects involving Unmanned Aircraft Systems.
- Advising high-technology companies on manned aircraft systems using drone technology.
- Served as principal outside counsel to Japanese battery manufacturer GS Yuasa relating to FAA, NTSB and JTSB investigations, claims and other matters arising out of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner battery incidents and grounding.
- Representing private equity and hedge funds on airport public-private partnerships, including Aerostar, the winning bidder and a 50-50 partnership of Highstar Capital and Mexican airport holding company ASUR, in the groundbreaking P3 for long-term lease and management of Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Representing a coalition of large aircraft lessors on aircraft transferability issues.
- Representing several developers in airspace hazard determinations.
- Preferred provider of legal services to aircraft lessor GECAS for over a decade.
- Represented Bombardier and Learjet in certification, litigation and enforcement matters.
- Represented several companies in matters involving the commercial use of UAS, including the first grant of a night-time commercial drone operation.
- Band 1, Chambers USA Aviation Regulatory - National, 2006-2017
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Regulatory Enforcement, 2010-2017
- Who’s Who Legal, Aviation: Regulatory - DC, 2009-2017
- Best of the Best USA, Aviation, Euromoney/Legal Media Group, 2009, 2011-2017
- Experts Guide to the World’s Leading Aviation Lawyers, Euromoney/Legal Media Group, 2007-2017
- Irish Legal 100, 2010-2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Royal Aeronautical Society - Counsel to its DC Branch, Fellow (2006)
- Flight Safety Foundation - General counsel and secretary, 2004-present
- American Bar Association - Section of Antitrust Law
- American Bar Association - Forum on Air and Space Law - Chair (1994-1996), Executive Committee Member (1994-present)
- American Bar Association - Torts Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- American Bar Association - Aviation and Space Law Committee
- American Bar Association - Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice
- Wings Club - Member
- International Aviation Club - Member
- AeroClub of Washington – Member
- John Carroll Society – Member
- Federalist Society – Member
- Army Navy Country Club – Member
- Thomas More Society – Member
- The Army & Navy Club - Member
- Shanghai International Aviation Arbitration Court - Member, Arbitrator to the Experts Committee 2014
- International Aviation Club of Washington, DC - Elected president, 2015
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) - Task Force on Safety Information Protection - Former Chair
- High Level Safety Conference - Delegate, February 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (2016)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit (2012)
- District of Columbia~United States (1997)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit (1997)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit (1996)
- Illinois Supreme Court (1985)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (1985)
- DePaul University College of Law (JD with honors) (1985)
- Northern Illinois University (BS Finance) (1982)