Cathy Z. Qi is a member of the North America Corporate & Securities Group.
Cathy focuses her practice on a variety of transactional matters with particular emphasis on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, corporate financing and public and private capital market transactions. She regularly represents national and international public and private companies in their activities in Canada, the United States and the Asia Pacific region. She has acted for clients in a wide range of industries including technology, mining, biotech, oil and gas, food and financial services.
Representative Legal Matters
- China National Offshore Oil Company in connection with its US$19.5B cash acquisition of Calgary-based Nexen Inc., including the assumption of debt.
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd. in connection with its US$405 million cash acquisition of Vancouver-based Daiya Foods Inc.
- D+H Corporation in connection with its CAD $1.25 billion cash acquisition of Fundtech.
- Viscofan Canada Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Transform Pack Inc.
- Matcor-Matsu Group Inc. in connection with its CAD$14.5 million acquisition of Yachiyo of Ontario MFG., Inc.
- Bento Holdings Ltd. in connection with its CAD$25 million acquisition of Bento Nouveau Ltd.
- Mars Incorporated and Wrigley Company in connection with their integration of business in Canada following their merger.
- Pfizer Inc. and Wyeth in connection with their integration of businesses in China following their merger.
- Recruit Holdings Ltd. in connection with its acquisition of certain assets of Workopolis Inc.
- Advised a syndicate of underwriters, led by Canaccord Genuity Corp., in connection with a bought deal of CAD$33 million aggregate principal amount of common shares issued by Sandvine Corporation.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- China National Bar Association
- Ontario~Canada (2014)
- China (2002)
- New York~United States (2012)
- University of Chicago Law School (2011)
- Northwest University of Politics & Law (Master of Law) (2006)
- Northwest University of Politics & Law (LLB) (2002)
Co-author, "Foreign Investment Regulations with Selected Annotations," China Legal Publishing House, March 2012, August 2014
Author, "The Frontiers Report of Law Science," Shaanxi People’s Publishing House, June 2004
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.