Marc Prat is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Barcelona office. He has more than 15 years of experience handling litigation proceedings before both domestic and international courts. He particularly has a broad experience managing arbitration proceedings for national and international companies before some of the most important arbitration institutions, such as the ICC or the LCIA.
Marc has lectured on business litigation and arbitration in different programs at the University Pompeu Fabra and University of Barcelona (Les Heures). He has authored and co-authored various publications on class actions, interim injunctions, arbitration and comments on the new Spanish Insolvency Act. Prior to joining the Firm, he worked in the largest court agent office in Spain.
Marc advises on a wide range of matters including claims for debt recovery, termination of distribution and agency agreements, insolvency proceedings and general breaches of commercial agreements. He focuses on disputes arising from real estate and construction projects, including turn-key industry plants, civil constructions, the construction of hotels and luxury residences, and sensitive industrial constructions. He has also advised clients from a wide range of industries, including energy, healthcare, and food and beverage.
Marc has also represented renowned sportsmen and professional sports clubs established in Spain in legal disputes before the main national and international sport institutions, such as the TAD and CAS/TAS.
Representative Legal Matters
- Defended developers in disputes arising from the construction of tourist complexes.
- Defended developers in disputes arising from forward purchase agreements of commercial/office buildings and shopping malls.
- Defended constructors in disputes arising out of turn-key construction agreements of energy plants before courts and arbitration courts (ICC/LCIA).
- Defended constructors in disputes arising from the design and construction of industrial plants and equipment for the food industry.
- Defended retail companies in disputes arising from lease agreements of future premises and from the early termination of lease agreements.
- Defended an Olympic athlete in a case related to doping through arbitration before the TAS/CAS.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Barcelona Bar Association
- Barcelona~Spain (2002)
- University of Barcleona (Law Degree) (1999)