David Pope is a state and local tax partner in the New York office. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, David practiced state and local tax in the New York office of an international law firm and in a Big 4 accounting firm.
David's practice focuses on state and local corporate income tax, sales and use tax, property tax, payroll tax, personal income tax, and unclaimed property in all states. He represents clients in all aspects of state and local tax, including controversy, litigation, planning, and restructuring matters. In addition, David has substantial experience defending clients in tax-related False Claims Act matters. David has advised Fortune 500 clients in the retail, financial, digital, insurance, energy, media, telecommunication, and manufacturing industries across the United States.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Tax Section
- American Bar Association - Tax Section
- New York~United States (2008)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M.) (2012)
- Syracuse University College of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2007)
- State University of New York at Binghamton (B.S./B.A.) (2004)
- Author, “Working From Home: State Tax Impact of a Growing Remote Workforce,” Corporate Taxation, December 2020
- Speaker, “Ethics Talk: Ethics and Professional Responsibilities for Attorneys and Other Tax Professionals,” COST 2020 Annual Meeting, Webinar, October 2020
- Speaker, “Professional Responsibility and Ethical Considerations for the In-House Tax Professional,” TEI 75th Annual Conference, October 2020
- Author, “Expert Opinion: The Looming Threat of Tax Whistleblower Lawsuits for Retailers,” Chain Store Age, February 2020
- Speaker, “Putting the ‘Opportunity’ in Opportunity Zones,” Changing Times, The N.Y. Center for Financial Studies and the N.Y.C. Chapter, Society of Financial Services Professionals, New York, NY December 2019
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.