Sara focuses on complex commercial litigation in court, at both the federal and state level, and in arbitration. She has handled a broad range of disputes, including multi-jurisdictional contract and business torts disputes, consumer class actions (statutory claims, federal statutory violations and data privacy, cybersecurity and breach actions), trade secret misappropriation, unfair competition, and other statutory and common law claims. Sara also regularly advises clients on litigation avoidance strategies, including alternative dispute resolution policies, data privacy and security practices, consumer regulatory concerns, advertising and marketing claims, and intellectual property protection.
She maintains an active pro bono practice, and has represented juveniles sentenced to life without the possibility of parole in resentencing proceedings and appeals; represented domestic violence victims in parole proceedings; represented low income tenants in unlawful detainer proceedings; and represented two individuals in active participation proceedings related to civil gang injunctions.
Representative Legal Matters
Obtained complete defense verdict against plaintiff former employee's claims for more than USD 24 million in damages, and in favor of counterclaims for breach of contract, fiduciary duty and duty of loyalty, misappropriation of trade secrets, and conversion.
Second-chaired a USD 40 million arbitration in defense of an investor owned utility from breach of contract action by third party developer.
Obtained order compelling arbitration of putative consumer class action on an individual based on arbitration agreement contained in website terms and conditions on behalf international travel reservation platform, resulting in favorable settlement in arbitration.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Sara handled the following matters:
Successfully defended a Fortune 500 company and its subsidiaries in a federal class action alleging violations of the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act and related tort claims, obtaining an early dismissal with prejudice.
Third-chaired a two week arbitration, representing a foreign beverage company in a contract dispute with its US distributor.
Assisted in an internal due diligence investigation for a US-based audit company involving potential tax and bank fraud.
Represented an investment company, handling trillions of dollars of assets under management, in breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty disputes with clients and account beneficiaries.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA) - Member
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States (2018)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States (2018)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States (2018)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of California~United States (2018)
- California~United States (2017)
- University of Southern California (JD) (2017)
- University of Georgia (BA Criminal Justice and Sociology, magna cum laude) (2012)
Publications & Presentations
- Speaker, "Not All Secrets Are Trade Secrets: Lessons Learned from the Elizabeth Holmes Unsuccessful 'Trade Secret' Fraud Defense," North America Trade Secrets Webinar and Video Chat Series, February 2022
- Speaker, "When to Patent and When to Maintain as Trade Secret," Baker McKenzie, March 2021
- Co-author, "Takeaways From Holmes' Unsuccessful Trade Secret Defense," Law360, 28 March 2022
- Contributor, "CCPA Litigation Trends," Bloomberg Law, September 2020